Dye mixing

Booo. Haha I was trying to make the URL not as ugly and thought I checked that it worked… oops.

2 Likes

Did you get the badge?

Yes I did, even though the link didn’t work. But now I have a badge for editing too! :innocent:

3 Likes

Several years ago I created a mosaic inspired by the title of this book :smile:

(mainly because I didn’t know what else to do with that color…I got all of my glass as scrap)

15 Likes

Very cool!
I’ve got to try my hand at that. So much to explore with colors and materials and how light plays with them.

2 Likes

I like that. The pale pink is a hot color right now, evidently. Do you have it cemented on a glass pane subtrate?

Yeah! I’m an ocean away from my studio now :cry: but I hope one day to somehow ship the materials here. Everything is currently in my parents’ basement!

Be sure if you get into stained glass mosaics to check your area for custom stained glass window and door stores… Many of them give away their scrap for free, or charge pennies per pound. And you can get samples of very exotic (and extremely expensive) types of glass that way!

2 Likes

Indeed! I use a water-based glue called Weldbond.

It was a bit of trial and error to find a glue that worked the best for my methods. Silicon based glue works, but it often sets with tons of bubbles. It also is best for the direct method…gluing one piece at a time. I don’t have the patience for that, so I use the indirect method: I create the design without glue, put tape on top to hold it together, and lay down the glue as a wash on the entire base glass pane.

When the grout is added, it reactivates the glue, but as long as the pieces are large enough and you aren’t too enthusiastic with spreading the grout, everything stays in place.

I haven’t updated my mosaic website in a long time, but if you’re curious:

https://bitsofcoloredglass.com/

And just because everyone needs some bacon in their lives :yum::

14 Likes

Wow. I love all your mosaics. The use of colors is excellent. Really helps me understand that color isn’t abstract, but it always inheres to the material to be appreciated correctly. The mosaics speak of passion and dedication in terms of subject, color and design. I can’t imagine the work it takes to produce these. I did a small one in college art class many years ago using found glass from trash piles. It was fun to find the glass but a challenge to get colors that were appealing. Then to figure out what to do with them.lots of old Philips Milk of Magnesia blue bottles. I love mosaics. When I was a small child in the 60s, the mosaic table tops and ash trays were the thing. In Latin class in high school, I first saw Roman mosaics in picture. Then when I lived in Italy and saw some orginals, I was just enchanted. I keep thinking of how many hundreds of thousands of square feet of Roman mosaics are still buried around the Mediterranean. Now that is permanent art!

5 Likes

I know! Those Roman mosaics, some are simply magnificent! Pictures of people and county sides show light source and shading - all accomplished with tiny tiles.
I expect those artists were paid very well.
Wonderful these works survived, and I have to wonder how many masterpieces remain burried. One just turned up in England where improvements unearthed it.

1 Like

Reminds me of a quote from a project manager in the run up to the Athen’s Olympics about whether or not all of the construction would be done on time.

The problem is you can’t stick a shovel in the ground without turning up an archaeological find. It slows down construction. (paraphrased)

4 Likes

These were on the floor at the Basilica of Fourvriere in Lyon France. The walls are also mosaics.

13 Likes

Beautiful!
I have the benefit of diamond tools to manipulate stone, this was a handcraft.
Thank you!

1 Like