Easy and Beautiful Picture Frames | Make Something

Jumper cables with long sections of totally bare copper wire. Odd since the guy who owned them was otherwise pretty safety conscious.

Also, lab fridges with bio-hazard stickers on them and do not store lunches in here signs, with lunches stored in there.

3 Likes

my shop teacher, who had all of his fingers BTW, told us the Bandsaw could be the quickest way to ruin your project. the blade moves really fast and you can quickly go off the line.

OTOH, the table saw, and if you get a “QUICK STOP” or whatever the heck name it is you simply cannot cut yourself.

now you can get a kick back. but simple safety practices can help you eliminate that risk to nearly zero. I am teaching my girls where to stand how to hold things. now they aren’t big enough to send stuff through yet, but they do help me catch stuff coming off on the roller stand.

I will always and forever remember that board Mr. C sent across the shop to make a point in that demo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

my dad volunteers with an urban wood recycling bunch down in florida. I will have to get a link to some of his pics. :slight_smile:

I love that coconut palm wood. Never seen it before (except as a full tree.)

2 Likes

Kickback’s no joke. Even with a riving knife and other associated safety gizmos, the risk never really goes away.

When I train folks on the SawStop at our local makerspace, I am able to illustrate the risk by pointing out the hole in the solid door which was caused by kickback.

6 Likes

Yup, my table saw scars me far more than my bandsaw.

7 Likes

Was that a typo or intentional?

3 Likes

When in doubt
 Intentional
 :wink:

2 Likes

Second worst woodshop injury I had was a flycutter on a drill press that took the “fly” part of its name too literally.

Worst was a crescent wrench.

8 Likes

Were you playing dodge ball?

https://media.giphy.com/media/invgXDwYCQLDi/giphy.gif

21 Likes

14 Likes

Warning: When attitudes get out of hand, wrenches do too.

17 Likes

I brought logs to a guy with a mill like this, he said “if you see me duck its too late for you”

He was short a couple digits.

9 Likes

Ok you have to explain the crescent wrench lol

3 Likes

If you’re really curious
 it’s at the end of this ancient blog post (back from when my blog was a woodworking blog called “Nothing Severed Yet”). The short version is I used a crescent wrench to tighten a pipe clamp, the pipe clamp broke, and I slammed the crescent wrench into a pipe with my finger in the middle.

cc @iliketomakestuff and @makesomething because I know they’ll appreciate it.

12 Likes

I thought that was a required in all projects. If you’re not bleeding, scraped or bruised then you skipped a step.

15 Likes

Loved the story lol very well written and with dry humor (my favorite). I can relate to the removal of the fingernail somewhat. I dropped a roll of sheet metal onto my foot and busted a few toes in the process. When I went to have my foot checked out they scheduled surgery to remove my nail and place acid onto the corner of the nail bed so the toenail wouldn’t grow back into the permantly damaged areas. Im 6’5" and around 250 at the time but when the doctor inserted the needle under my loosely still attached toenail I teared up like a newborn getting spanked fresh from the womb.

After the local anesthetic took effect they removed the toenail and stuck two long wood skewers into the edges of the nail bed and put a drop of some kind of acid onto them and it ran down into the toe. it is really weird to watch someone ram a long wood skewer into your toe, felt like a deleted scene from payback with Mel Gibson.

7 Likes

My friends dad growing up was missing three fingers. Decided to cut apples on a saw. Not sure what kind.

Another friend dropped a circular saw while working on a ladder and tried to catch it. He missed and it got his hand. He’s a man’s man so he put his hand in a bucket (or was it a bag?) and drove himself to the hospital. Told the nurse he had a head ache, I imagine due to delirium. It’s back on now, but the nerves are shot.

Tools are dangerous. I get annoyed at all the added weird plastic safety things they slap on them nowadays , but I have all my limbs attached so I’m gonna keep using them that way.

6 Likes

A friend’s dad lost his pinky and ring finger on his right hand in an accident putting a metal roof on a barn when he was a kid (teenager presumably.) One of his favorite things in the world was shaking hands with someone for the first time and watching their reaction.

3 Likes

Had an uncle (from a farming community) that did that with me (when I was early teen or younger) being a city slicker.

His arm had been lost from the elbow and he had a mechanical hook that he would “shake hands” with and to this day (5 decades later) I can picture his impish grin :smiling_imp:

3 Likes