Edge lit acrylic mirror

A friend of mine recently suffered a heart attack that nearly took his life. He is middle aged and this was very unexpected. Shortly after recovering from surgery he sketched a grim reaper with the title “Reaper Cheater” which he posted on Facebook. I snagged the image and did some etchings and promptly sent them to him as a surprise gift.

After further refinement of his sketch brought it into Corel Draw and created a vector version. Armed with this high quality vector file I wanted to take another attempt on the laser, this time an edge lit acrylic display. I was not totally satisfied with the first attempt in clear acrylic. There is a lot going on and I don’t think I provided enough contrast in the various fills and strokes.

After some enhancements, the next attempt I decided to see how it would look etched on the back of some mirrored acrylic.

20170817_121338

I am quite happy with this version. It is hard to pickup in a photo, but the light fill color in the letters and blade made a speckle pattern that looks like a star field making a surprisingly nice effect in person.

Since I had the design file ready to go, I decided to make a couple more engravings to send with the package.

20170818_110648

50 Likes

Little bit grim, but a nice design and excellent “execution”. :smile:
(Sorry, I couldn’t resist a pun either.)

10 Likes

Oooooh, I really like that edge lit mirrored acrylic. I’ve not seen that done before. I do hope the Proofgrade store starts carrying it.

5 Likes

I’ve always been a critic of those using terrible fonts that you can’t read quickly. Love the outlined letters. It adds a crispness that allows you to enjoy the rest of the artwork instead of trying to decipher the words. Quite well done! :wink:

2 Likes

Nice variety!

I bet he will display them with pride.

2 Likes

One trick I learned for Clear cast acrylic is to barely etch the surface making a frost instead of etching deep into the acrylic.
IMO it looks nicer lit up than the deep etch with shadows
A Ham callsign sign I did…ignore the scratches since its a sample that travels to shows it got dropped a few times…lol

27 Likes

awesome tip, thanks.

5 Likes

Another Excellent tip from the Laser Lady! :grinning::+1:

6 Likes

Very nice. This would be cool as a silk screen on a tee shirt.

2 Likes

Love the mirror look too…keep meaning to try it…lol

3 Likes

Tips like this are the forum at its best, thank you

5 Likes

Maybe that’s why they let me stay around LOL

6 Likes

That’s some great advice! Muchas gracias!

3 Likes

Fabulous job! Great that you went back to your software to adjust and turn it into exactly what you wanted! He will totally love it!

3 Likes

I am at a loss for words on the story and what you have created. Long health to your friend…that cheater. :slight_smile:

2 Likes