Edge Lit Advice

If you were asking about nice, then yes, defocused! I just can’t do acrylic projects without it now :grin:

2 Likes

I’m finally back to my glowforge today (darn real job gets in the way!) I’m familiar with gradients in photoshop, but I’ve been using silhouette software and Inkscape as I’ve been learning how to forge. What software would be best for me to buy/learn—are you using illustrator?

1 Like

Inkscape supports gradient fill.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I’ve got a lot more to learn. :blush:

I’m all Inkscape. It even has mesh gradients. Took me a while to figure out the control points in gradients but it really worked great on the engrave of the blue note. It barely colored the bottom of the note to going about 1mm deep at the top of the engrave.

1 Like

I am struggling a little bit with Inkscape. I did portrait photography for about 10 years and got really good with Photoshop, so switching over is a little different. But I’ll get it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I found the gradient tool and can see how to extend it down past the note. I don’t know how to export as a bitmap, though. I know–this should be something basic, but I don’t have that figured out yet.

One of the challenging things is just getting familiar with the icons and menus. The icons are small. There is a setting you can adjust to get them bigger. I am still learning. Then you get into all the filters, extensions and path effects.

Three steps under File > Export then choose page drawing or selection

1. adjust resolutions and size
  2. path and file name
  3. then don’t forget to click export on lower right. I change the name of the file and then I exit out and forget the final export.
2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Inkscape has very good tutorials.

https://inkscape.org/learn/tutorials/

Spending time reading through them will definitely pay off.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.