Edited SVG in Illustrator now won't load in GUI?


It used to load fine, then made some small adjustments and now the GUI will not load the file. Help!

Was the small change adding the artwork? it is quite complex in that it is a bunch of objects that have over 350,000 nodes.


That is what is killing me, that is the one piece I didn’t touch. I moved the edges to allow for kerf, same with the square openings. But never touched the grape vine artwork.

well i was able to get it to upload by taking the engrave part with the leaves and whatnot and exporting it as a png then brining it back into the design to replace the original. There are issues as well with the outline but not sure if they will hold you back or not. looks to me like the entire design was traced to bitmap in inkscape or something along those lines.
But either way this is the artwork combined so you should get it to upload to the gfui.
e97c636f49fb3aea14cc12abc150f27d4deed122.zip (2.1 MB)

How did you come across the design and what program are you using to edit it?

I doubt that file will work tho imo, it will double cut all the outside lines and nothing really seems to be square. If this is a design that was working for you in the past and is no longer working i would suggest reverting it or going back to a previous version. If you need help i might be able to help.


Right you are, revert then move forward, somewhere along the way I had somehow made the vines more complex??? I removed them then re-added from the original and all was fine. Thank you SO much!!

not too sure what when wrong but best of luck getting it to print for you.

1 Like

Just one other piece of advice: if you are engraving those leaves, orient your pieces horizontally instead of vertically in the Glowforge bed. You will find that it will shave off at least 20% of the engraving time by making that simple change.


Actually, just over 36,000, not 360,000 (your screenshot shows it).

It’s not the node count causing the issue. I have a design with 38,000 and it “processes” in 9 seconds, prints fine.

There’s something else going on in that file causing the GF UI to fail during processing.

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble when trying to import your design. It’s great to hear that removing and then adding the vine artwork to your file again got you up and printing!

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!