Electric shock

I just started noticing an electrical shock when I brush the metal edge of the glowforge as well as the crumb tray when I removed my project. I’ve never experienced this before, should I be worried? It’s constant not coming from myself

Yikes! I’d recommend checking your ground – you can get a little handheld tester to plug in to the socket.


Yeah, that’s a classic symptom of something called a “ground fault”. The outlet you’re plugged in to is not wired correctly (you are plugged in to a grounded, 3 terminal outlet and not a 2 terminal, right?). The fact that you feel the electricity is proof enough of the problem, no need to go buy a ground fault tester to confirm it. If you know what a “ground fault” is, you also know it’s fairly easy to diagnose and correct. But it is messing with 120VAC so if you don’t know what a “ground fault” is, your best option is to call an electrician and say “I think I have a ground fault in one of my outlets, could you come check/fix it?”.


make sure your 3-pronged extension cord is plugged into fully functional outlet. Do not use one of these to “adapt” it to an outlet with only 2 prongs or to an extension cord that likewise lacks a ground.


Thank you for writing. The experience that you’ve had indicates a build-up of static electricity or an issue with the wiring to which your Glowforge is connected. Please make sure that your wiring is properly grounded and that it meets your local electrical code.

1 Like

I’ve definitely encountered the issue with static electricity on dry days.

I happened to get my Glowforge during a particularly dry week and I was worried about a grounding fault at first but as soon as the weather changed I realized it had only been static electricity. :relaxed:

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.