Electricity is Life - Quack medical replica

Here’s the latest interactive I built for the Spark Museum of Electrical Invention. It is a reproduction of the "Electricity is Life” device by Midland Manufacturing. They were sold from from 1899 to 1909, and were advertised as both a strength tester and electrical therapy device.

As with previous projects, I built this using a combination of the Glowforge and traditional tools in my machine & wood shop.

While I tried to be as faithful to the original as possible, I didn’t see much point in reproducing the antique induction coil circuitry within. So hidden inside the box is an Arduino controller, and a servo motor to control the needle. The Arduino does control a high voltage power supply however, so the more you push down on the handle, the bigger the shock!

Although devices like this can deliver a pretty strong shock, they are relatively harmless, the AC output frequency is about 10KHz, to which skeletal muscle is very responsive, but myocardial (heart) muscle is not.

54 Likes

This looks amazing! Great job!

10 Likes

So cool!!

9 Likes

Exceptional work, as always!!

8 Likes

So, you made a “game” out of a TASER…LOL! Just like when I was on the job…the more you push me the more likely I’m going to make you “Ride the Lightning!”

7 Likes

That is beautiful.

6 Likes

Very similar to something that Dave & Busters have (had?) in their restaurant/arcade/fun-zone locations. They implemented theirs into a chair so you sit down and grab the electrodes. Shocking but not really painful.

9 Likes

That’s great! I’m sure your reproduction is faithful, nice work John. Love the marketing, ‘See who can take the most’. Well, let’s drop a coin in this thing and get this competition going!

7 Likes

Nicely done, looks so authentic!

7 Likes

Gorgeous work!

It kills me that I can’t get up there to visit the museum. I used to be in Boston a dozen times a year, have not been since 2019 now.

6 Likes

Hi John! Welcome back! I had not seen you here for a while. How did that other piece work out?

4 Likes

Thanks so much! Remember we’re in Bellingham, wa. Though, not Boston!

3 Likes

Thnks, Robert! Which other piece do you mean?
JJ

3 Likes

looks great

3 Likes

Weird… I thought MA. Either way, I no longer travel for business…

4 Likes

The quack brain wave device.

2 Likes

That’s outstanding! Looks great and sufficiently robust to stand up to the public. I’m sure it’ll be a great hit at the museum.

How did you do the sensing of “the more you push down on the handle” part? Load cell maybe?

4 Likes

Fantastic! That it works is even better!

4 Likes

Oh - yes, your donation! It is fantastic. We don’t have it in an exhibit as yet, but it is safely stored with the rest of our quack medical collection

4 Likes

You should start a YouTube channel talking about all your stuff and perhaps raising extra financials as well.

5 Likes