Engrave and cut

I have designed a product made of leather that I bought at a fabric store. I have put the leather in the glowforge and scanned the pattern onto the leather using inkscape. the program will only let me engrave the words i want and does not give me an option to cut the pattern out. can anyone help???

The cut lines need to be a path/vector.

Have you completed the “first three prints” tutorials?

The tutorials @eflyguy referenced are in the support section – you can find them here: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633354-Your-First-Prints

Also, I’m concerned you might be using faux leather, if you bought it at a fabric store. Most of that is made of PVC–it will release chlorine gas when lasered (it only takes one time!), which will deposit throughout your machine and commence corroding it until suddenly one day it won’t work anymore, and it won’t be repairable.

Make sure of what it is before you cut it!

2 Likes

thank you, no i did not finish the first three print tutorials. I will go and do the 3 print tutorials.

Thanks for helping out, @eflyguy! You’re right - the SVG or PDF file you want to cut needs to contain lines called “strokes”, which are turned into cuts. The tutorials @geek2nurse linked to would be helpful to start with, as they walk you through creating a design so you can see how to create a file with cuts in it.

Please try out the tutorial and let us know if it doesn’t work to get you cutting!

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this thread. If you are still having trouble, please start a new thread or reach out at support@glowforge.com - we’ll be happy to take a look.