Engrave fading

Uhh, is my laser cutter running out of ink? This has happened several times. Oftentimes it will engrave fine on the bottom, fade in the middle then pick back up again at the top. Lens is clean. Other flasks worked just fine. I cant find any consistency with the issue except that it’s more prone on my first print of the day.
Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone who knows more than I will chime in here, but my first thought is that it’s more an issue with inconsistencies in the material (leather) you’re using, rather than a problem with the GF itself.

7 Likes

With that much difference in height the laser is not focused in the middle. If you are looking to do them on the flask try setting your focus halfway or put the leather on something flat first, Even a half millimeter could make a big difference.

4 Likes

Can you take the leather off the flask before engraving? Maybe stuff a piece of wood through the middle? Things really should be flat for the best results.

Wait… @andersam37, I was assuming that was Proofgrade leather that you’d engraved flat and then created the cozy with. If that’s not the case, the results can certainly vary. You’ve got a lot going on there… unknown leather with unknown finishing, on a non-flat surface.

Also, if it’s not Proofgrade leather, Support will not be able to help you with it.

If this is the case edit your original post and move it to “Beyond the Manual”. Other users are happy to try and help on non PG stuff :smiley:

Welcome, @andersam37! I am sorry your prints aren’t turning out beautifully. Were you able to try to move your Set Focus point as @rbtdanforth suggested? Also, to help us narrow down what could be causing this, would you mind doing a test print? We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on that Proofgrade Draftboard and let me know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let me know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print. Thank you in advance!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.