Engrave failure

Fairly new to Glowforge & Inkscape and after a few hours looking, I can’t find a solution to my problem. I’m fairly certain something got screwed up in the process of converting my dxf into svg, but I’m not experienced enough to know what.

My process:

1. Exported a sketch from Autodesk Inventor to dxf
  2. Converted dxf to svg (Inkscape kept reporting a failure when trying to import the dxf directly)
  3. Tweaked the svg to color the lines and add a fillet.
  4. Loaded the svg into Glowforge and everything looked good
  5. Engrave missed some spots.

Thoughts?

dragster

1 Like

It took me a bit to figure out that I had to look at each layer glowforge saw. You have to make sure each h one is set to engrave, score or cut. The one I did, it wouldn’t recognize one of them as engravable so I used score which actually worked well for my project.

This is a long shot but looking at the art there are areas that didn’t cut that look like there are duplicate lines - they’re showing up a different shade of purple when I upload it. I can’t check the art because I don’t have that program on this computer - but if there are duplicate lines it will not do anything.

5 Likes

Exactly this. Many parts of your design have duplicate, overlapping paths. Duplicate paths are ignored by the machine.

Also, your shape outline has double paths like you outlined a stroke. Was this your intention?

3 Likes

I think that’s it - and I’m guessing something that happened in the dxf -> svg conversion.

Not sure why/how the stroke got outlined - is there a way to undo that?

thanks for the help!

If you want/can share the .dxf, I’d be happy to open in Inkscape and see if I can tell.

Put it in a .zip file to upload.

3 Likes

Give it a shot

dragster.dxf (331.1 KB)

1 Like

Got it, but won’t open in Inkscape for me. Sorry. File appears OK - opens in F360 just fine. I just can’t tell what caused your issues.

I checked AD Inventor specs and it doesn’t appear there is another compatible format.

At least I’m not crazy - thanks for trying. I took out the double bits and I’ll try cutting it again on Monday.

Try https://convertio.co/image-converter/ to go from dxf to SVG (or many other formats). It should give you a good first step. The image looks pretty good to me but needs some clean-up after conversion.

1 Like

That’s what I used. Didn’t realize it would need post processing - lesson learned.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Could you please let me know if the advice from the community helped get you up and printing with your design?

Worked perfectly - I missed a couple of small duplicate pieces, but I at least know what caused the problem.

Thanks to everyone for helping out!

7 Likes

Thanks for reporting back.

Just a note, if the hole in the top tab is meant so it can hang from a string, you might want to move it down to the center of that tab, otherwise it will likely break thru the top.

1 Like

100% better!

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!