Engrave setting on font

Had to replace the actual fobs for my car keys, so thought while I’m at it, why not make myself a new key ring fob, too. Just because I can. Used some scrap thick clear PG acrylic and was looking forward to doing a deep, 3 D engrave. Only choice was HD engrave. My question is; were my engraving options limited because this is a font and not a vector?

11 Likes

Probably because it was a vector and not a bitmap. (We only get the Photo Engrave options on raster images.) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

jules is correct. remember that a font by default is a vector, unless you convert it to bitmap.

3 Likes

The reason behind is that vector engraves are single power operations - the UI doesn’t recognize vector gradients.

3 Likes

Well, now I feel silly…I just found out stuff I really didn’t know. But, I know now and I’m just a wee bit smarter…thanks to all my gurus.

Your’e all the best!

3 Likes

Turned out lovely, in any case!

1 Like

Ooooo, nice!

1 Like

If you ever want a deeper engrave, especially on acrylic, you can always pick one of the proofgrade settings available, then go to manual settings and slow down the engrave or increase the power. That will make it engrave more deeply.

I see on certain types of woods the proofgrade settings are normally 1000 speed for standard engrave, and 500 speed for 3d engrave.

5 Likes

Thank you. I remember that now…sort of…but, didn’t think of trying it in time to do it on this piece. It’s not a really important piece anyway, so hopefully I’ll remember all of this good advice next time I’m wondering about this.

You can always make 2, or 20! Haha

1 Like

especially since I can use SnapMarks! :grin:

And, BTW…happy happy day of the cake!

1 Like

Thank you! And snapmarks are amazing!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.