Engrave settings

So, I recently ran into an issue trying to print a box with engraved brush strokes on the top. For some reason it kept popping up with an error message each time I attempted to print. After some trial and error, It seemed to be having an issue with the brush stroke bit of the design. I then changed the engrave settings from ‘draft’ to ‘SD’ and it seemed to take.

Can someone please explain why this happened and the differences in the settings? Just something brief. I am new to GF and I’m just trying to figure out all of these settings!

Thanks so much

Without knowing which error message, and probably seeing the art, I don’t think most would even posit a guess, let alone an answer.

If it’s vector art it could be that it has too many nodes, or uses masks, or a number of other things - but WAY too many options. Honestly if you’re engraving often the best bet is to switch it from vector to bitmap, which also opens up 3D engraving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi and welcome!

I agree with deirdrebeth and it’s really hard to say without seeing the art and the error. But vector brush strokes are notorious for having a TON of nodes and bogging things down, so that might be something to look at. As to why the SD setting worked when draft didn’t, I dunno. :woman_shrugging: If I had to make a wild guess, it had to do with how each setting is processed differently. But if your file was a vector, the thing that will likely fix the issue for you is converting the file it to a bitmap.

And FWIW, I’m impressed with you trying to work through the issue and narrowing it down to the brush strokes like you did. So hang in there, you’re doing great! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @Tiffy - I’m sorry to hear you had a bit of a hang up, but am glad to hear you were able to work through it.

As others have said, it would be hard to give a confident answer to what the underlying reason was for the error you experienced without looking at the design file itself. If you’d like to send it over for us to take a look we’d be happy to. Feel free to email it to us at support@glowforge.com

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.