Engraved cardstock fun times

This is gorgeous!!! And when I clicked on your amazon cardstock link - lo and behold I bought some awhile back too - and still have some! When I get to trying this out, I’ll be sure to check in with you as to settings… will be awhile though as I have loads to do on my to do list.

3 Likes

Earned a bookmark, such nice results!

3 Likes

I did a stacked mat board plaque for a reunion with 6 or 7 layers and I was trying to match the top color with the main object in that color (navy for the sailor’s pea coat, black for the submarine, aqua-green for the water, dove for the sky, etc). The exposed inner core provided accent color or shading to provide even more depth.

I did 30 or 40 test swatches if I recall. Then made 60 of the plaques (5x7 and 10x14 sized) :slightly_smiling_face: The effects carried through even when resized.

2 Likes

This is just beautiful! I mean, they all are - but this looks just…wow.

2 Likes

That’s incredible. It never would have crossed my mind to engrave away the outer color!

1 Like

Credit where it is due, I learned it here. Previously:

@GenieSoulGrape Leaf on Card Stock (Now with Embossing!)

And @rubbersoul79.
Color changing cardstock? What WHAT!? :)

2 Likes

I have engraved cardstock in the past, but the reverse engrave is something I hadn’t considered.

Ordered! Thanks so much. This is great. I’m making a YouTube video this week on engraving everything from wood, plastic, metal, textiles, paper, etc… I’d love to include double-sided cardstock to the mix - I’ll give you a shout out!

2 Likes

Definitely include tile in that mix, they look so great.

1 Like

Definitely! I’ve been working with tile, slate, marble and a few different types of stone. Cermark makes an etching spray that works pretty well (if you’re not paint filling it). The video was originally going to be a relatively simple one - but one thing led to another and now it’s growing to include dozens of materials. haha! The double-sided cardstock will certainly inspire others - I teach digital fabrication at a college and my students will love working with the cardstock. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Anodized aluminum too. Looks so good.

Yes, anodized aluminum looks awesome! I’m also working with stainless steel, copper, titanium, brass and chrome. I’m thinking that maybe we should spin this off in a separate thread… I’m sure that others might have some ideas - or something they’d like to see.

1 Like

Did you ever post it? That sounds cool.

1 Like

Yeah it’s here somewhere. I also did a couple hundred tiles for coaster sets - 4 different designs so everyone could have a coaster takeaway but also be able to add another 3 to make a set. I’ll do a search

1 Like

Well I guess I’m going to have to order some cardstock! Looks amazing! May have to message you about settings though :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought that card stock from Joanne Fabrics after reading your post! Did you actually glue together two separate pieces and then engrave? Or did you find a way to lightly engrave the first color off of the top layer of the double-sided card stock to reveal the second color? I’ve been trying to the latter with no luck for over an hour now. ha! I’m starting to think that those are two separate pieces…

1 Like

Just engraved it off.

1 Like

There are quite a few cardstock settings in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum. What settings are you using and what problems are you having? Perhaps you can post a picture of what your results are.

1 Like

I see you used vary power for the engrave but do you mind sharing the speed and power settings?

1 Like

Forum guidelines prevent discussion of settings for non-Proofgrade materials, except in the “Beyond the manual” forum.

If you would like information on operation beyond what is covered by the manual, you may discuss it in the “Beyond the Manual” section, and only in that section. Note that that section of the forum may contain information that is incorrect and may violate your warranty, damage your Glowforge, and cause injury or death. That is the only place for discussion of topics like:

• Manual settings for materials
  • Modifying your Glowforge unit
  • Third party add-ons
1 Like