Engraved Playset Boards & Birthday Sign

Engraved a couple of the boards from the playset they were putting up for our grandchildren:

Cut and stained some boards, added some silk flowers, then cut Nora out of Proofgrade Medium Basswood. Really like the contrast.

40 Likes

Pretty! I only get maybe 6 “likes” before I run out again, even when I haven’t been on the board overnight, so I’m already out of them, darnit!

4 Likes

I know the feeling! Why should there be a limit to likes?!

5 Likes

I’d like that, if I could! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Love the Nora on planks. Very striking.

3 Likes

Nice way to personalize the play set. I like the contrast of stains on the birthday sign,

2 Likes

Oh, those turned out nicely! I like the idea of personalizing the playset too! :grinning:

2 Likes

I love the signs! Especially the Nora on planks—very cool coloring on those, and such a lovely font.

2 Likes

That’s fun! Now I kind of want to pry some boards off our playset and engrave them with fun things!

3 Likes

Ok, this is the second thing I’ve seen you make where I have the same dumb question… How do you make the swirlies on the first and last letter??

Not a dumb question … you just don’t know the answer yet!

I used a font that has “swashes”. The font was a freebie from CreativeFabrica.com back in March. When a font has “swashes” you have choices for each letter in the font character map. So, in Nora … I chose one with a “swash” on the “N” and on the “a”.

The whole thing only makes you want more fonts!

Here is an example from DaFont … take a look at where this one shows an alternate first and last letter to get the look.
https://www.dafont.com/magnolia-sky.font

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I figured that you must be really good at adding swirlies by hand ( which I tried by the way. Didn’t work so well) :grinning:

3 Likes

I predict that in five years, magnolia-sky will take its place among those great fonts that by their ubiquity have doomed them. Since I first loaded it last winter, I have seen it everywhere. It’s a fetching font and so useful for projects like this.

Not being snarky at all. Just pointing out that this font is getting some steam.

4 Likes

Magnolia Sky is a nice one! I’ve always loved fonts … love them in wood even more!

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thought about Magnolia Sky. Happy for its maker, but sad that popularity will eventually drive it into oblivion!

Maybe it will be the “vintage / retro” look of my grandchildren’s time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes