Engraving a 2" item

I am engraving an 8x8" square baking dish. I have it upside down to engrave on the bottom (have the image flipped horizontally so that it can be read through from the top. This is how I do all my glass items (showing the engrave pattern through from the bottom). I have measured the pan from top to very bottom (not from top to inside bottom).

So I am just telling you what I do and not saying that it is the ‘glowforge way’. I order in cases of these curets:

They are listed at 1 7/8"…but there certainly are some that are pushing it. Sooooooo (again, just what I do for my use case) I have the GF focus just a little more towards the neck of the curet and so I do know the value the GF reads will not be the true value. But, I am not printing the mona lisa on the curet and so I am fine with a lower quality result. I have only had a GF a year and a half and so I am sure there are so many factors I am over looking but it gets results I am okay with and I am not trying to build a business on the results.

1 Like

The engraving should absolutely work on this item and a focus height near .49" should work if the auto focus doesn’t work. Are you entering the height in the material or in the interface after toggling on the manual switch?

1 Like

I was entering the height in the material section.

1 Like

Try in the operation interface.

1 Like

Have a look at this. It will explain everything for you:

3 Likes

Thanks for all your help. :two_hearts: The .49 manual setting worked for me. I did ruin one of my pans, but thankfully I had a second! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the future, you could always just measure directly using this free tool.

If it fits, it prints…

3 Likes

Thanks! :+1: I’ll give this a try!