Engraving a cast paperweight

I have been a resin caster for about 15 years now. A friend wanted to know if I could cast and then engrave a paperweight. Does anyone have any experience with that? Looking for any and all input possible. This one hasn’t been polished yet. But it’s a start. 3x3x3 finished measurements.

1 Like

The maximum height for anything engraved by the Glowforge is 2"

2 Likes

Even without the crumb tray?

1 Like

Yes, even without the honeycomb tray. Also, what kind of resin did you hope to engrave.

1 Like
  • Maximum material height: 2″ (50mm)
  • Maximum material height with tray: 0.5″ (13mm)

… unless you want to cut the bottom out of your machine, which has been done. I wouldn’t advise unless you are out of warranty and not worried about being denied future repairs.

3 Likes

Well. Thanks for that. No reason to research further.

1 Like

Welll… that may or may not be true. You may well be able to make molds for your resin using the glowforge, all depends on your process.

1 Like

I have already made some reinforcement boxes for my molds to keep them from warping. Nothing like making a custom fit lock and tab acrylic box in under 5 minutes.

2 Likes

And if you put additional cut/engraved layers on the inside surfaces of those acrylic molds, you could end up with really interesting shapes and surfaces.

Do you use a pressure pot? Would cut down on worries about bubbles in your castings when you have weird shapes like that.

1 Like

Could also pour a single face, engrave that… then pour the rest to finish the block. Just a thought. That would also allow you to engrave the INSIDE of the cube, though I’m not sure how clear the engrave would come through that way… Worth some experimenting maybe? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.