Engraving defects/streaks help?

So I’m trying to make this dog tag. For some reason there is streaks going through the text when I try to engrave.
First time I did the engraving on SD graphics with proofgrade settings and had the print as far to the edge as I could get it.
When this happened (first to the left) I assumed it must be 1 of 3 things.
The edge, the quality, or the file.
So I centered it and changed it to HD, after checking the file.

Then I did the second one. (I made some small design changes.)
Better, but it still has those streaks through the bottom text. In the same spot.

Well… It has to be something in relation to the image then? Because it is in the same place even though I moved the print inside the printer.

Can you take a picture of the dog tag with your phone and post?

My phone camera quality would be worse.
And this way you can see the original image. However, I can put it on a contrasting background so the details are easier to see. {refer to first post for updated image)

P.S. This is lime green eva foam, but somehow the glowforge camera shows it as a darker green.

There might still be something going on in the file…I can see a more “opaque” area underneath the centers of the letters in a few places. If you want to load the file here someone can probably check it for hidden shapes. (Please zip the file first before uploading it here…the forum can change it when it’s uploaded if it’s not zipped first.)

That particular design is not easy to do using vectors unless you are careful with the creation of Compound Paths along the way. (It could be rasterized and will print correctly.)

2 Likes

Ok. So now I know. Always rasterize for engraving. Which shouldn’t be a problem because I only use scaling when I’m being too lazy to measure things precisely.
Thank you.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. As @Jules pointed out rasterizing is likely to resolve the trouble you were experiencing.

I’m so glad this advice worked, and you were able to obtain the print results you were looking for. I’ll close this ticket for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!