Engraving issue!

So I am trying to cut and engrave multiple keychains but my glowforge is not engraving. It moves the head like it is but nothing is happening. Please help!

Posting a screenshot of your GFUI can be a great help - but most often that happens when you’ve gone to look at the settings, which makes it presume you’re going to enter your own so it takes power down to 1

If you’re using PG settings it’ll say “Engrave” if it has numbers you’re using manual settings

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m new to this whole GF. Can you tell me how to change it back?

1 Like

That, or if a vector engrave, it’s two vectors laying on top of one another.

2 Likes

As JB said, you probably have two vectors cancelling each other out. The other possibility is that you have settings which have defaulted to a power level of 1 which may look like no engraving. A screenshot would help us help you.

Verify you have your material selected then click on that function - at the very top there will be a “back” button. Click there and it should revert to Engrave.

If you do click that arrow (which eventually you will definitely want to do) verify your power is more than 1 :slight_smile:

If all that doesn’t work - or you verify you have power, then it’s probably an issue with the file. We’re happy to help with that too, but you’ll want to zip and upload the file so we can

4 Likes

Yes I believe that there is an issue with my file. I took my original svg and duplicated it to make multiples on one sheet. I am not sure if that did something that affected the way the glowforge reads it. Here is my file if anyone can take a look and let me know what I need to do to fix this issue. I appreciate all your help :slight_smile:mothers%20day%20angel

mothers day angel.zip (460.4 KB)

I opened this file in Inkscape. Switched view to outline from normal, clicked on the first butterfly, moved it to the left and there was another butterfly left behind. You have two files, one on top of the other.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh ok so I just have to delete the second image then correct? You are awesome. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. Delete the copies.

Overlapping vectors will effectively knock out the engrave where it overlaps. You’ll find this in script fonts that have overlap a lot of times.

6 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!