Engraving line ordering

Yes the same effect could be achieved by analysing the raster and breaking it up into localised scans to optimise the time. A very long time ago I wrote a graphics compression algorithm that did just that to compress cartoon style animations into a format that could be rendered very quickly with a graphics engine with a blitter. It was worked well compared to video codecs around at the time that expected video to be pictures.

3 Likes

ā€œBlitterā€? Typo or a word I donā€™t know?

Word I donā€™t know. ;p

(too far out of my wheelhouse to read right now)

1 Like

Yes they basically perform logical operations on rasters very quickly.

I basically computed the difference between frames and then split that up into small rasters using an algorithm that knew the overhead starting a new raster and the rate at which it would run. So it could decide whether to render two areas of change with two separate rasters or a bigger one that encompassed both.

It was in the early nineties I think so I donā€™t remember the exact details but it was probably a heuristic rather than a guaranteed optimal result.

2 Likes

I regret that terminology can be ambiguous according to what people are used to. I am literally talking about my design as it appears in Inkscape. My designs rarely contain bitmap images. All the elements are paths in Inkscape. Those paths I want to engrave on the Glowforge are closed paths representing shapes. Their bounding path does not have a color assigned to it. The enclosed shape is filled with a color. I engrave that filled color area. I can choose to score or cut the bounding path vector as a separate operation if I make the path a different color.

It seems that any time I mention the fact that Glowforge can take a vector path and turn it into an engrave operation using a raster motion of the head discussion ensues. I try to relate my experience and understanding of the design to engrave process as the Glowforge does it.

5 Likes

Canā€™t find it now, but i believe it was @jamesdhatch who was also advocating for breaking the patches of engraving into zones to speed up the processing time. (It is quicker that way, if youā€™ve got a sheet full of engraving to do.) :smile:

I havenā€™t needed to use it much yet - most of the engraving that I have done is fairly smallā€¦ a few inches or less, and it doesnā€™t span the entire 20 inch wide bed. And I tend to cluster all the parts together to save material too. So the time savings turned out to be pretty negligible in those cases.

One trick I do use a lot though is one that @dan mentioned a while backā€¦when I engrave, i try to keep the bulk of the engraving running along the X axis. That has a pretty large effect on the time as wellā€¦(see below.)

Same size, same engraving settings on both rectangles, the only thing that changes is the orientation.

So thatā€™s something else to play with if you want to speed up your prints.

14 Likes

You give GREAT examples. :grin:

3 Likes

One of the cool things about a blitter is that when programmed correctly it can also do (at least) 90-degree rotations.

1 Like

Makes sense. Far fewer direction changes in the long horizontal vs the skinny vertical version.

And yes I split any wide area engraves into different colors so I can make the laser do them as individual units to prevent long sweeps of the laser on intervening non-resized sections where itā€™s just wasting time moving between the engraves with the laser off.

3 Likes

Well thats good to know. makes sense now that i think about it.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Man I wish I knew I could do this before I started my 3.5 hour print. I imagine doing it this way would shave at least 2 hours off of the time. Though Iā€™m actually using the 3D engrave setting for this job, so that technique probably wouldnā€™t work. Iā€™m making a spice rack and 3D engraving the slots for the shelves to slide in. I used black as my color so that I would get a nice deep groove. Is there any other way you can think of to break up the job? Iā€™ve got four 1/8th inch grooves spanning about 16 inches, its taking forever.

1 Like