Engraving on abt

I would appreciate any assistance on the laser settings to engrave on ABT.
Lawrie

I’m sure there are folks out there who know what ABT is, but I sure don’t. Could be an abbreviation for just about anything.

1 Like

Hi

I think it is an acrylic resin.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

Suggest you get the SDS from the manufacturer to ensure it’s safe to be used, then follow any number of the threads here on how to test.

Never heard of it, never been mentioned here before.

2 Likes

Figured I’d take a quick look and found a TON of things about ABT, but none if it was regarding a material… Just curious, might it be ABS?

1 Like

Is this the product you’re asking about? It’s the only “ABT” I could find that might be a match for what you described.

https://www.ams-paints-and-accessories.co.uk/pages/shop/product.html?product_id=142048790&

However, it seems to be an additive for plaster and not a material in and of itself, so I’m not sure how you’d be engraving on it.

If not, do you have a picture or a link to the material you’re asking about?

I did a search first thing…American Ballet Theater is what came up for me. :grin:

Must be “ABS” with a typo.

And while you can put ABS in a laser cutter, the results you get engraving and cutting it will be sub-optimal. It tends to get all melty.

1 Like

The fumes are dangerous too. It’s on my “never laser cut” list.

:slight_smile:

It’s on my “not worth ever trying to cut it” list.

T & S are adjacent in the alphabet, but a long way from each other on a keyboard.

… but, yes, ABS should not be used in a laser, least of which because it emits cyanide gas.

1 Like

It is an acrylic resin…. But do not know if it can be engraved with Glowforge.

Thanks

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Is The Australian Pterygium Centre related to “ABT” in some way? Why did you upload their logo?

Where did you get this “ABT” to engrave on? Is it a sheet material? A liquid?

Unless it’s known by something else, it appears nobody has ever discussed laser engraving “ABT” on the internet before, so you’ll have to figure out the settings on your own.

1 Like

You were already told above - get the SDS from the manufacturer.

Edit - or find out what it stands for. ABS is Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

Looks like it’s used for model making (weathering)?

I don’t think you’ll find an answer here for the specific product. This is definitely a reach out to the manufacturer for a safety data sheet thing.

Thanks Dan. No not quite.

Will try to send a picture but it is an acrylic resin of some sort.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Thanks Randy.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

OK.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Thanks

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Why do you keep posting that logo?

I don’t have eye issues and and don’t live in AUS.