Engraving on pine wood

So I’m still new using my glow forge. My brother gave me some pine wood that I have been practicing engraving on however it doesn’t engrave deep enough. Again I’m new so don’t torture me to bad. I find myself using the medium red oak hardwood default for my settings on a lot of my wood projects however it is not working on this pine. I’ve also used a few of the other presetting’s and they don’t work either. Any suggestions on settings to use to get the engraving deeper into the wood.

2 Likes

Yes…increase the LPI. The higher you go with it, the deeper it’s going to cut.
(And the longer it’s going to take.)

I would just go up one level at a time to see how deep it gets.

3 Likes

Just a side note that the resin in pine makes a sticky mess out of your GF’s interior if you engrave/cut a lot of it.

5 Likes

currently my settings are:

Speed 1000
Precision Power 1
LPI is 225
number of passes is 1

so what would you up the LPI to? 226

yes I notice that. I don’t think I’m going to do to much of it.

3 Likes

I’m going to move this over to Beyond the Manual for you, since that’s the only place where we can discuss non-PG settings without upsetting the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers. :wink:

2 Likes

Woods with very prominent grain patterns are sometimes difficult to to engrave because of hard and soft wood on the same board. You might try to find some maple or bass wood to experiment with.

1 Like

Precision power of 1? Needs moar powah.

5 Likes

Okay your power probably needs to be a little higher than 1% to start with…that’s a safety default. Try Full Power without changing the LPI value right now…it might be deep enough.

2 Likes

Yes, 1% is hardly enough to singe the masking. That degree of control is so useful, you can engrave paper.
This forum is the best accessory for your laser, amazing amount of knowledge here - especially regarding the glowforge.

3 Likes

Pine can get pretty “flamey” when cut…

This is pretty extreme, however. Single-pass on 0.59" pine.

1 Like

What’s with the deep burn on the right and upper side?

That’s the start of the cut.

1 Like

Duh… :roll_eyes:
alcohol was involved.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.