Engraving presets

Can anyone point me to where I can read the description of what the different presets for engraving are doing? I want to know what type of design each is designed for and what their functions are. For example, what happens when using a grayscale image when using each of the presets. Are most of them meant to be used with black and white only? I have tried searching through the forums, but could not find a comprehensive list of preset functions or definitions. I’m pretty new to the world of engraving so it’s confusing to me.

3 Likes

If you switch from a proof grade to manual the default proof grade settings will carry over.

These setting are based on Medium Draftboard

Draft Graphic - Use for black and white or cell shaded images
Speed: 1000
Power: Full
Grayscale: Vary Power
Min Power: 0
LPI:195

SD Graphic - Use for black and white or cell shaded images
LPI: 270

HD Graphic - Use for black and white or cell shaded images (essentially a slower & darker version of HD Photo)
Speed: 300
Power: 11
Grayscale: Convert to dots
LPI: 450

Draft Photo - Use for images with a range of tones
LPI: 169

HD Photo - Use for images with a range of tone
Speed: 500
Power: 11
LPI: 450

3D Engrave - Use for reliefs
Speed: 501
LPI: 340

Speed and Power work hand in hand. The amount of power the laser “pours” into the material controls the depth and darkness of the cut. It’s possible for a fast moving high power engrave to “pour” as much power into the material as a slow moving low power engrave.

Grayscale controls how the darkness is controlled. Convert to dots keeps the laser at one power level and turns it on and off to create a halftone pattern. Vary power changes the power level to create a range of depths and darknesses.

LPI (Lines Per Inch) indicate the resolution of the print. High LPI values give more detail but they are slower and darker.

20 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to copy all of that. I did a little testing last night. I was wondering originally if the UI would interpret all colors as black and do a single power engrave or if it would recognize different shades as different depths/ power. I knew that the 3d engraving varied power but was happy to find that other settings do as well.

Is SD Graphic the default PG preset? Is there any real difference between the variable engrave under the 3d setting vs variable under any other setting? Is the lpi the only change?

Thanks again. I know I can do tests to find these answers for the most part, I just hate wasting material. I didn’t know if gf had published a list if settings and their functions, or something like that. You’ve helped clarify it for me a bit though.