Engraving settings

I"m engraving thick flourescent pink acrylic. it gives me a choice of Draft, SD, or HD Graphic; Draft photo; HD Photo; 3D engrave; and Deep 3D engrave. Is there some where that explains the difference between all of those?
Thanks.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so. If you select one of those, then switch to Manual, you can see the settings that will be used. But let me give you my understandingā€¦

Draft will use a lower LPI, therefore making it a faster yet potentially-less-attractive engrave.
SD Graphic will use a slightly-higher LPI. (To me, these settings are typically about what Iā€™m looking for.)
HD Graphic will use higher LPI and possibly slower engraves and lower power, making it take a lot longer, but the results may be deeper and cleaner.
SD and HD photo are similar to above except that youā€™ll get nice dithering that youā€™d want from a photo.
3D will vary the power per colorā€¦ darker will be deeper.
Deep 3D is, well, just as the name implies. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps you. And I hope what I just said is actually correct.
I tend to use :proofgrade: settings as a starting point and then switch to Manual to make small adjustments as I see fit.

10 Likes

Thanks, Tom.

1 Like

Tomā€™s just about covered it. I will add that if you are engraving a bitmap/rastor image, SD graphic and HD graphic setting use different methods to interpret color and the end result will look very different. SD uses ā€œvary powerā€ and the darker the color in the image, the deeper it will engrave. The HD setting converts the image to halftone and itā€™s called ā€œconvert to dotsā€. The darker the color in the image, the more dots itā€™ll burn. Hope that makes sense.

(DISCLAIMER: I just came from the dentist; my whole head is numb and Iā€™m a little woozy. I am not responsible if this is actually written in Klingon or something and Iā€™m the only person who can understand it. :joy:)

2 Likes

tlhIngan maH

1 Like

Hahahahahaah Perfect! Just to cover my basisā€¦

ā€˜oH neH ghot tuā€™luā€™. mej yuvtlheā€™ tom. ā€˜eā€™ bitmaprastor ghItlhvam ghItlh SoH, pIm methods DanoHmeH sd graphic hd graphic setting 'ej interpret color ā€˜ej meghā€™an ghotā€™eā€™ legh SoHvaD pIm chel jIH. ā€œSar HoSā€ 'eb ā€˜ej Soā€™meH darker color qaStaHvIS ghItlhvam, loā€™ sd deeper ghItlh 'oH. ghItlhvam bIDameH hd setting halftone ā€˜ej ā€œbIDameH dotsā€ pongluā€™. darker color ghItlhvam, latlh dots meQ 'oH neH. tul San Dapvetlh.

(DISCLAIMER: neH voā€™ jIH dentist; naQ nach numb ā€˜ej loQ woozy. jIHbeā€™ ngoyā€™ mojpuā€™ ghItlh paā€™ tlhIngan vayā€™ pagh 'ej neH nuv laH 'oH yaj 'Iv. : yImaq:)

3 Likes

Qaplaā€™

1 Like