Engraving trick for this?

One other thing to add that I didn’t see mentioned - once you’re done engraving, lightly scrub out the engraved portions with alcohol or ammonia (if you use water the wood may swell/warp) and let dry - it’ll be a lot lighter when any and all soot is removed!

3 Likes

I declined to mention this because of the white paint aspect. If you do clean it with a solvent of some sort it will definitely get lighter, but the “untouched” parts will likely get stained a bit.

1 Like

I am slowly figuring it out :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Looks like draftboard… which engraves pretty dark as a rule. It might be tough to get a significantly lighter color.

2 Likes

You are!

The deeper the engrave the more the white bits will stand proud - but also the darker it will get. If you use hardwood or plywood that has a wood (not draftboard) core you can make it stand prouder and be able to clean the engraved parts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such fine detail. Bootiful

1 Like

Using a second layer of acrylic will save tons of time compared to engraving all of that, plus it would not look that clean if engraved.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.