Enhancing our patio with Glowforge

Hi All!

I’m Marlo. New to posting in the Glowforge community … but thought it was about time to share one of my family’s first projects. We don’t do a lot of creating from scratch with our Glowforge (although we aspire to), but we do look for ways to enhance our home with things customized on Glowforge. Spoons… cutting boards… frames… and… wait for it…

… PATIOS.

Here’s a quick inspiration to get you excited - but see below for the whole story!

THE LONG(ER) STORY:
This spring my husband decided that we were going to replace the outside area of our townhome (mostly shrubs), and put in a new patio. Further, he wanted to incorporate fun unique details that no one else would ever have. This is where the Glowforge came in…

First - we ripped up the outside:

Second - we started building with lots of cedar:

Third - we began printing with our Glowforge (hand-drawn ferns and leaves on 1x6 cedar):

Fourth - we added our custom Glowforge panels to the near-finished Patio area:

And fifth - voila! Finished patio with art / drawings / engravings on each post that you can’t find anywhere else.

We love how unique it is, and love how our neighbors stop by to not only comment on the patio area, but how interesting the laser panels are too. Now, we can’t wait to start our next home project and figure out how to use the Glowforge to make it special.

73 Likes

An absolutely wonderful use of your GF. That patio is to die for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great project!

3 Likes

Very very cool! What a great use, and what a nice way to share artwork with others as well as surrounding yourself with artwork…

1 Like

Way to lean into it!
Nice work! Great summer project. Thanks for sharing that. (Cedar smells so good)

3 Likes

And here I thought the enhancement was finding a way to use the GF on the patio :wink:

3 Likes

Really amazing and wonderful! I wouldn’t be surprised to learn you have similarly enhanced the inside of the house.

3 Likes

Gorgeous outside project - the panels came out great!

2 Likes

I love THAT! Beautiful result.

2 Likes

What a wonderful space!

I love your finished setup. It gives me ideas.

What a delightful space for you to enjoy with friends and family! Very impressive!

The patio looks fantastic! What a great project!

To add your own drawings, did you draw directly on the wood, or do it some other way?