Etched Acrylic Blaster Display

I’m making a Battlestar Galactica blaster for a friend and decided to also include a stand.
(Please note, in these pictures, the Blaster is nowhere near finished. Please disregard its ratty appearance).
This is a Piece of Thick Clear Acrylic (PG), with the Battlestar Insignia etched into the backside so that the top is smooth and glossy. It’s got a standoff to hold a small metal plaque (also etched on the GF) and to support the front of the blaster. There’s also a little shape at the back to keep the butt of the gun from sliding off the back.
All this is laid on on top of a piece of Medium Black Acrylic (PG) to make the etched design pop.
Tonight, I’m experimenting with ways to bond all this together (Weld-On 3 and 4 will be tested) and, once done, I’ll add some little rubber feet to the bottom.

Hope you guys like it!

(PS: At what point do I stop being a “new user” and get to post more than one photo?!)

!

43 Likes

Another pic…

27 Likes

And one last one…

33 Likes

This looks amazing, the engraved base look great and i like how you incorporate the label with the part that hold the barrel upright.

1 Like

Thanks!

Wow that is a great display! (And prop) This sparks my creativity and up my game for my Megatron and Shockwave gunmode display stands.

1 Like

The Discourse minimums are:

• entering at least 5 topics
  • reading at least 30 posts
  • spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

But those are the default settings, The staff here may have set the thresholds higher.

2 Likes

They must have. I have FAR exceeded all those.

Frak, that’s good! :wink:

1 Like

That stand almost looks as nice as the blaster. :wink:
Great work on both!

1 Like

Give more likes.

1 Like

Everything looks great.

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but I’ve always sucked at that. I prefer to use words, rather than click on a “like” button. But I’m trying to get better!

1 Like

No, he means that it’s a Discourse requirement to move ahead. (It is.)
You’ve got to scatter a little love. :smile:

1 Like

I understood. It’s just… such an impersonal way to show appreciation.
You know those year-in-review videos Facebook generates? When people were posting their 2017 ones, it was all like “You liked 4,827 posts this year!” but mine was like “You liked 23 posts this year!”

6 Likes

Eh, more than me…I don’t like Facebook. (Much too impersonal.) :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always preferred to display trophies that have been through a couple of Cylon wars. I like it.

2 Likes

yeah, it can seem like pandering, or being lazy, compared to an actual response.
(I would say it isn’t, especially when all you want to say is, “i see that you did something that is vaguely interesting to me”)

Some people don’t care if they get likes… but I think most people do get at least a tiny sliver of HAPPY from seeing a like notification, especially when it is from someone whose work they admire (and your work that I have seen is very good).

(And for some people, it’s more than just a sliver:)

8 Likes

I like that. :wink:

4 Likes

Well… at least Discourse isn’t like YouTube and gives people the thumbs down option for the trolls, even if they do secretly like what they see. :smiley:

The “like” button might seem disingenuous but many people don’t suffer the malady of enjoying hearing themselves talk (or type) :smiley: so the button is handy for them.

Oh, yeah! The display and the blaster are way cool!

3 Likes