Etcher Laser

Just got a press release (I’m a tech writer) that the project is 107% funded. Lasers are HOT…

1 Like

Especially when you override the interlocks and the invisible beam and your thumb try to occupy the same space :wink:

5 Likes

That sounds like the voice of experience!

Just an anecdote here - one of the people who purchased a Crossfire CNC plasma machine lives in Paradise. He got his machine delivered 3 days before he had to evacuate. He didn’t have a chance to unpack & set it up.

Three days later it and his house was gone.

He posted in their forum to let people know why he wasn’t on or posting anything he’s been doing and let folks know he & his family made it out safely.

Langmuir posted back with the appropriate condolences but then unprompted, added that they’d be glad to refund his money or to ship him a replacement whenever he got settled into something permanent.

I’ve backed a lot of crowdfunded projects and a bunch of them have flaked out or failed to deliver without anything more than a “so long & thanks for the fish”. But then you back something that makes you feel like it was all worthwhile - you helped folks realize a dream and they’re good people who pay it forward.

GF and the Langmuir projects had the benefit of backing someone who was local to the people they were trying to serve - even if it’s only the shared bond of makers. That connection played out with GF’s refusal to give up & the access to Dan and the team and how they’ve been replacing units with seemingly no arguing about the warranty limitations. And today I found out it played out with Langmuir too.

It’s nice to be amongst good people when there are so many who aren’t.

13 Likes

Videos are up on the Etcher Laser. The list of things it cuts is not bad, but I suspect that there’s some misleading info. To demo the cutting, they cut the words “happy birthday” out of a sheet of paper. Not a lot of Wow factor. If it can cut wood, leather, etc., that’s what I want to see.

I really like the removable bottom idea. That would fit my needs over the passthrough, but I’m not sure this has the power or speed to make it a worthwhile investment for me.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.