Etching a JPG image

I successfully uploaded the puzzle and placed a JPG on top of it. Everything worked perfectly.

I am now trying to upload just a JPG. It does not render. Is that because there is no boundary to cut?

Joe

It should work. As with any specific problem like this, posting the source image will probably be necessary for any real help. If you don’t want to post it here for whatever reason, then support will probably ask you for it some other way.

Oh and if you haven’t tried reloading the whole UI and starting fresh, you should give that whirl too. Sometimes if you are adding art to existing projects it can get weird if you haven’t reloaded for a while.

Good luck!

1 Like

As mentioned, it should work. The Glowforge is happy to just engrave with no cut boundary.

Are you uploading from the home screen or the Add Artwork button?

How large is the JPEG file (file size)?

2 Likes

I don’t understand the reasons for it, but under certain circumstances drawing a border around the design will work, just do it in a different color so you can ignore it in the op.

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting us know about this!

It is absolutely possible to upload just a JPG and engrave it.

As @Printtolaser said, sometimes drawing a box can help, although it depends on your file. Here’s details:

1. Open your design in your design software. If you don’t have design software, we recommend Inkscape.
  2. Draw a box around the design. Give it a stroke that is a different color than the rest of the design.
  3. Upload the design to the Glowforge app and open it. The design will open, but everything inside the box will be grouped.
  4. Set the box to be ignored in the steps bar and configure the settings of your design as you wish.

If that doesn’t work, there are more solutions listed here, including a list of what to email us if you’d like us to dig deeper.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.