Etching on a fountain pen

I tried to etch my signature on a very nice fountain pen. After two attempts with different settings I had the same results. The laser only dropped a few dots and “scratches”. Has anyone tried to etch on a round pen?

in your case here it’s probably not the round part but the material part. :glowforge: doesn’t actually etch into metal. and i’m not sure what that coating is, but it may not be easily etched by a 40w CO2 laser.

i’ve etched into wood pen blanks and can do a single line fairly cleanly. others have done pencils successfully.

5 Likes

I engrave my wood and acrylic pens daily without any issues…

Can I assume that you very carefully measured the height of the pen surface that you are engraving? Is it within .5"?

2 Likes

They are all within 1/2 inch.

I am a woodturner/pen turner and recently ordered a basic glowforge. I am interested in engraving pens, keychains, handles of all sorts. I have been reviewing the posts. Would you share your technique for doing so or direct me? Thanks. in the mean time I will keep looking

1 Like

Do you mind sharing the engrave settings you use for the wood pen? I don’t even know where to start!

Brandi, All my files were destroyed in a fire and i haven’t been here or done anything since last year due to health issues with myself and my mother in law . SInce most of my pen work is done in acrylic i just ran test on a piece of blue acrylic till i found what i liked. I started at 25 power and a slow speed till i found a depth i liked. I had to be careful not to go through so mine was not very deep then i just filled with acrylic paint. Make sure you tape the pen before you engrave then you can just apply the paint…

Sorry i cant be more specific…I am just getting back into my business with Pens and other woodworking projects…

1 Like

Look around here on the forum for settings for the material you’re working with. The laser won’t care if it’s a pen. There are also some templates people have shared here to help develop settings in new materials. Develop the settings on a piece of flat material that is the same as your specially item. That will get you really close.

Yikes! I hope you are able to recover well :persevere:

Thank you…

I lost my computer and most of my files which i am now in the process of recreating.

I am recovering well had some great doctors.

Had open heart surgery in January, COVID(?) in February at least my doctors figured I had it, hard to tell since so close to the surgery and my pacemaker replaced in May.

4 Likes