Etching Tile

The normal ones yes. My bright Marvin the Martian is pretty much outline today.

1 Like

The first one was showing the masked product. The line across the middle was where 2 pieces of masking tape met. No cracks.

1 Like

Do you just set the tiles in the glowforge pro or do you treat them in any way. Just got my glowforge and a bit nervous.
Thanks
Marque

1 Like

Just set them in - if you’re trying to aim something very specifically you can tape down a piece of paper and score a box the same size as your tile, and then put your tile in the scored box, but if you’re just testing (which you definitely should do - right after running Your First Prints) have at. Tile will have a bright flame, but you can’t hurt it and it won’t catch on fire :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ikea sells these black wood frame with a square mirror in the center. Just glue the tile over the mirror and they look great! I used them for alcohol ink paintings last holiday season. The mirrors are 2-3$ I think

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I ordered one of those cannabis grow house filters, and a vivosun exhaust fan. I can still smell wood, but the smoke goes in the filter. And it’s only $50. Might be worth a try.

1 Like

The Vivosun 4" fan is only 195 CFM but will work for all but the extremely smokey cases, but I would not expect much of anything from the filters before they clog.
Unless you are just doing tile I guess… :roll_eyes:

I am using the six inch. And the filter seems to be working ok.

2 Likes

1st hand experience, it works worth “snot” with any type of smoke. In particular the walnut PG that came with the Glowforge that particular (pun intended) filter, did nothing to take out any and I do mean any smoke. Took forever to air out the room. Thankfully I had a very good construction friend help teach me to make a dryer vent hole to vent out and with the addition of the external fan OMG how quiet. We still have the filter I believe we use it as a outside potted plant.

2 Likes

did you get this with normal sharpies or oil based sharpies? your colors look great !

Thanks for the settings, I will try that.

Please let me know how your tile settings work, im trying to figure out the best settings for some tile. Though I am seeing LPIs and it seems like everyone else is talking about DPIs. I am under the manual engrave section and my file is an SVG.

LPI - Lines Per Inch is how many passes the laser makes over an inch of material
DPI - Dots Per Inch is how many dots the graphics design program puts into an inch of art

Both are important, but LPI is the only thing you can adjust with the :glowforge:

They stated DPI above, but when they’re talking about a :glowforge: setting you know it’s just a typo!

Yes, like @deirdrebeth said. I think in the initial post, they meant lpi, since the numbers he was saying were ones that appear on the dropdown menu in the image .

1 Like

Thanks a ton, tried a tile at 225 LPI and I could see a lot of the lines, so trying 340 on the next round :slight_smile:
Trying to fine tune what gives good quality while not taking forever (my 225 engrave took 18 mins)

thanks !

If you were looking for lines before dropping ink in there - they are practically invisible - you have to angle your light just right to see them.

That being said, nowadays I generally do everything at 270 since it’s a nice balance between time/depth.

1 Like

I haven’t seen smcgathfay post in a long time. I have, however, seen tiles done using both.

Hi, That Frog is amazing. Where can I download or buy that file? :heart: