Evac fan quit working

I went to use my Glowforge today and noticed it was a bit quieter upon further inspection it seems that the evacuation fan in the back stopped working I have no idea what to do to resolve this problem any help would be appreciated thank you.

Is there any chance you have accidentally turned on the compact air filter connected option you see when you click on the 3 dots at the top of the browser? Usually that is what happens.

If the option looks like this the fan in the back turns off.

2 Likes

If it’s not the Compact Filter switch…you might want to take pictures of the fan from inside and outside the machine (Point your cell phone in there, take a few pictures, and see if it is dirty or perhaps tangled with fibers or something along those lines.) Remove the hose in the back and take pictures of the grid too.

Post the pictures here and someone can take a look at it.

If you can also take a picture of the circuit board in front of the fan (inside on the left), to check for loose connections that would be helpful too. The fan plug might have wiggled loose.

With the machine off, slowly pull the laser arm to the front of the machine and you can reach in behind it with a flashlight and/or cell phone to snap some pictures. Return the laser arm to the home position when you’re done.

If it’s really dirty it might need to be cleaned.

3 Likes

If the fan has failed, your options will be to have the machine repaired, replace the fan yourself, or remove it and run an external fan.

If the machine is under warranty, you’ll probably want to go with the repair. Many owners here with out-of-warranty machines have removed the broken fan and use an external fan.

1 Like

There are a couple things we can check.

The cable for the fan could have been unplugged. Please check the fan cable by doing the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Open the lid.
  3. Gently roll your laser arm to the front of your unit​​.
  4. Look for a black cable with a white connector.

1. If the connector is plugged into the board, wiggle it very gently to make sure it is secure. If it is, skip the next steps, and let me know that it was plugged in properly.

2. If the connector is unplugged or unsecured, locate the clip on the connector​.
    ​​​​

3. Then, gently plug it into the board as shown in the photo. The clip should face towards the center of the bed of the unit.

4. Close the lid, turn your Glowforge back on, and repeat the steps for the test print we did in the last message.

5. Check if the fan spins up during the print.

Aside from that, It may be helpful to use the fan cleaning maintenance page, if just to switch the fan on and off, for testing.

Go to this URL: https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/fan

Let me know what you find!

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.