EVA's big debut - Harry Potter coasters and a cutting board

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the forums since I pre-ordered about 6 months back, and have been inspired by all the creative minds and wonderful projects you all have generated. I am excited to finally be able to post in the ‘Made on a Glowforge’ section.

EVA (named from one of my favorite Pixar movies and the resemblance to the glowforge) arrived 30 minutes prior to me driving to my parents house for the weekend (3 hours away). So of course I packed her into my car so I could squeeze in some quality time any free moment I got. I ended up staying up until 2:30am that first night (way past my bedtime) utterly mesmerized by how easy everything was to use. I engraved a cutting board I had made as my wedding gift with an image I nabbed off the interwebs for my first go around, and was thoroughly satisfied with how it all turned out. So much so it got it’s own photoshoot…

Shoutout to all those who posted tutorials on measuring materials with the honeycomb removed, would of been up until 3:30am without those.

Once EVA returned home after her long journey…It was time to get to the priorities - Harry Potter coasters of course! I used the proofgrade maple plywood for the coasters with the standard engrave settings. The artwork is not my own, pulled from some images off a google search. It’s a little darker than intended, but the detail is unmatched so you will only here praise from me.

Now I’m not usually a Slytherin fan, but this coaster was by far my favorite from the set

Lastly a deathly hallows symbol holder, made from some walnut cutoffs I had in the shop

Thanks for reading, and keep creating!

74 Likes

Wow, those turned out great! :smiley:

I assume most of us waited two years, how did you pull off 6 months? Looks great.

1 Like

Looks great!

“We’ve sent shipping emails for all US orders placed during the 30-Day Campaign. International and real time orders are coming soon.”

That’s the most recent banner announcement. I assume that means, for US orders, they’re somewhere between the preorder campaign and people currently ordering right now.

But maybe I’m reading that wrong?

Edit: I love the coasters, btw! How long did the engraving take? The holder is genius. I might have squeaked out loud when I saw it.

1 Like

I think they finally waded through those that were two years and more and at least in the US have started to deliver on those since then. I pre-ordered in August and paid at least 50% more I think and just this month received it before I was counting on doing so, and thus have only made a founders ruler tonight. and even smoked the place up a bit doing that, so no more till I get the exhaust working better.

Edit : And yes great envy on the coasters they look amazing,. As I did not bother with tape running the founders ruler it was pretty smoked up. I put some hand sanitizer on a rag and it cleaned up beautifully. if you find things a bit dark, it is just alcohol and a thickener and could cut back on the dark if that is desired.

1 Like

I think you’ve got some talent, to be able to whip these quality items out so fast. They all look really good! I think I have to agree with you on the Slitherin coaster.

Got my materials, just waiting for the machine to arrive, so jealous, biting at the bit to get started. Great stuff everywhere.

1 Like

Great debut projects! (They all turned out just smashing!) :grinning:

Hmm, I pre-ordered in June and my email date is still 2 1/2 weeks out!

@erin Engraving for each coaster took about an hour each. Then picking the stickers off took an hour as well, which only lasted for one coaster until I discovered the ol’ duck tape trick. I used the HD engrave function which I am not sure if it was necessary, I just haven’t had the chance to compare each of the different engrave functions.

@nebfive Excited for you to get yours and to be commenting on your ‘Made on a Glowforge’ posts!

With regards to the whole order/receive date etc. - I can’t really speak to that process or how it all works, I just placed an order for something I thought looked awesome. My ship date was originally scheduled for November, but ended up being pushed back to February so not sure if that has something to do with it. Regardless of length of time that we have been waiting, I am sure we can all agree it’s a product more than worth waiting for!

2 Likes

Yeah, those turned out great! I ordered April of 2016 and my email date is for Feb 23rd. Not sure how that works out…

Hmmm, I ordered a Pro. from Florida I don"t know if that had something to do with it. the delivery date was Jan 11 for a while and then slip[ped to late Feb, and eventually Feb 8, but instead of that as the Golden Email date It was the date It showed up at the door,

The filter is still Scheduled for end ofJuly

Maybe they’re making more pros than basics. Mine is a basic. No worries, it’s almost here. I’ve been wondering where we were as far as order date. You’re the first I’ve seen that has mentioned your date in the forum. Thx for replying!

Wow those look great! I’m going to steal this idea and make some for my friend who is a big HP geek.

thanks!!

Awesome first projects! “Eeeeeeeeevaaaa…”

Accio Coaster Set!!!

1 Like

@dan said recently that Pros are flying off the assembly line.

1 Like

That is very well done.:sunglasses::+1:

You are off to a great start.