Exhaust properly attached?

I just did my first print! I used the proof grade acrylic. I did notice an odor near the end of print. I felt around and looked at exhaust areas to see if I could feel or see anything escaping. It looked good and felt snug. How much if any odor is normal? Is this typical and to be expected?
Thanks!

2 Likes

I still have a smell sometimes when I complete a project to me it’s normal but to some it may be an issue. Just my opinion but personally, as long it’s doesn’t permeate the entire room and you have it well vented with no leaks to the outside or a filter i wouldn’t worry.

2 Likes

Welcome Patti!
I have an extended exhaust run, and it took me considerable effort to seal it. Once I finally did there is zero odor during operation. You will get a whiff when you open the lid.
I personally didn’t like the spring clamp that came with the hose, and I used a screw-clamp instead. I’m a fan of something mechanical I can cinch down.
If all you got was a hint of acrylic, you are pretty close to having it right.

1 Like

Welcome. Getting the exhaust sealed is sometimes difficult. I traded out the supplied hose for a plastic hose generally used for shop vacs. I also switched to a worm clamp rather than the spring clamp. Another way to minimize smell is to pause the job right before it finishes. This keeps the fan running until you unpause. This clears some of the last cutting odor from the machine.

2 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely look into a more secure way to seal the exhaust at the machine’s output.

1 Like

When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Email us at support@glowforge.com and send us:

• The name of the material you’re using
  • A description of where the smoke/fumes are coming from: the door, lid, or hose
  • When you smell the fumes: during the print or after it has completed
  • Photos of your Glowforge and your exhaust system

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic.