Exhaust recommendation from manual

I can honestly say I don’t recall the part about 3 feet outside an open window. Interesting. I was just planning on having my blastgate exit through the window and that was going to be that. Looks like I might be attaching a 3ft hose on the other end of that now.

This seems like it might be a bad idea though as it will be basically touching the ground at that point. I won’t be surprised when a squirrel or mice try and make a home in there during the winter, especially with warm air pumping out of it.

I think the operative word here is “open”. If you have a blast gate, or any of the other window insert vent solutions, that window is no longer “open”.

1 Like

I agree. With a window insert & a blast gate there’s no path for the exhaust to re-enter the room. With an open window 3 feet of extra hose is probably okay but I think you’ll get fumes re-entering the window based on my experience with an open window above the exhaust. They probably picked 10ft from an air intake because there’d be a suction being created by the intake fans.

2 Likes

197.3K vs 197.2K between @rpegg and @Scott.Burns respectively means that they both live on this forum. Clearly my 15.9K means that I’m a slacker or that it was too painful to watch everyday because I didn’t know when I would see my :glowforge:. :wink:

:grinning: Check out the “read time” stat. In the past 2 years I’ve spent 40 days reading the forum - 40 24hr days (@rpegg has spent 50!) . That was a huge time suck :slightly_smiling_face: But a lot if the time is while I’m waiting for something so it’s in snippets of time :slight_smile:

I was very active early and then just hit and run after the first big delay. Now that I’ve received the Golden Ticket email, I’m hurrying to learn as much as I can. This is an awesome bunch of creatives and technical peeps. Every day has fascinating finds. Thanks all.

2 Likes

You ain’t seen nuttin’ yet… :wink:

summary

(And I speed read. Took a lot of time to put those Weekly Summaries together.)

Actually…that’s kind of depressing…:neutral_face:

8 Likes

I believe there are other spots in the forum where this issue came up. Specifically in a formal advisory from Glowforge, I’m not sure but there was some robust discussion on venting in all kinds of situations and paying attention to where your exhaust would end up once it left the tube and the potential for going back in the house or sucked into place that you didn’t want it to go. I think some discussion regarding demonstration events and shows touched on this issue.

So in terms of reading all the posts and noting that you need to think about what’s around the exist of your exhaust stream, yep, it’s been there. Finding a nice, central location that touches everything and all the ramifications? Not really. Kind of like the sound issue. Some folks are very surprised at the sound of the Glowforge. The Marketing didn’t seem to make mention of that fact. Only in slogging through thousands of posts could you get a good sense of how important this issue could be for some people.

You can also put a filter outside your house, which will help. Admittedly the filter is generally used for indoor agriculture, so you might get funny looks from neighbors, but they’re pretty cheap and help somewhat with the smell. Cutting acrylic isn’t dangerous, but it’s pretty stinky, so if an open window is nearby, a filter like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7M6692/ref=asc_df_B00D7M66925249393/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00D7M6692&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198096371923&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1236596036423172022&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011893&hvtargid=pla-345719871100 might be a good idea.

4 months?!!? Addiction counseling may be available. :wink:

2 Likes

Is there any reason that I can’t use PVC for the exhaust gases once I hit the outdoors? Is there an issue for the bulk of the length? Static? Hot gas interactions with PVC…? I see that they use PVC for my gas vent.

I’d love to use that blank spot that’s already cut in my Hardy plank rather than cutting another. Since the curvy PVC is my gas heat vent, I’m guessing I’m far enough away from breathing air intakes.

None that I can think of. The GF exhaust does not get hot. And not like the gasses are explosive. The standard dryer vents most are using are vinyl.

2 Likes

I would think that PVC would be preferable, especially for longer runs. It has significantly less wind resistance than the provided flex tubing.

1 Like

And it would probably be quieter. I’ve been planning on using PVC. It is more expensive of course and not at all as easy to use as the flexible ducting. But it also takes paint better. And I’ve got a few spray paint canisters I need to use up.

1 Like

I think you deserve some additional proofgrade !!

1 Like

I probably just need to have my head examined… :rofl:

I love working with PVC pipe. I did some reworking of my sprinkler. Cut. Dry Fit. Swab with this. Swab with that, assemble and hold. Bam! Was kind of fun. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Maybe it was the fumes. :wink:

3 Likes

Well some enjoy the fumes at bit more than they should :crazy_face:

1 Like

I grew up in the days of mimeograph handouts. Snifffffffff. Was rampant. :wink: These days, I wear a mask a lot. I read too many warning panels of adhesives and such.
53F8E704-849B-4970-A323-0ECE7D21315B

4 Likes