Export Design includes meaningless "text copy" of settings

How do I export a design and get the power and speed settings?
As per the glowforge help article
https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800789149-Save-Undo-Store-Export-and-Sort-Designs?_gl=11qzutdr_gaOTg3MDU4MDQ3LjE2NjU0NDI0MDA._ga_YM0X41VEGH*MTY2NTQ0MjQwMS4xLjEuMTY2NTQ0Mzk3NC4wLjAuMA…
it says:
" * Your settings will be added to the saved file as readable text, too. That means when you’re ready to print it again, you can re-enter the settings from the file. This works for both Proofgrade materials and for manual settings you’ve tuned yourself."
All I get is a list of the steps with a 6 digit number - no useable power or speed settings.
This is from a exported design:
Glowforge® print settings
Design id: 7BG1AYAL391KTHRWKX5EM6NBXKXEE
Timestamp: Mon Oct 10 2022 16:15:18 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version: 1.0
Step 0: #000000 Cut
Step 1: #181493 Cut
Step 2: #297200 Cut
Step 3: #548ab2 Cut
Step 4: #9e5000 Cut
Step 5: #e53595 Ignore
I want to save my Dashboard stuff before it all goes away, and hopefully not need to make a journal with the custom setting for each design.

You can’t. You get a warning when you export designs with custom settings. Make notes, or create custom settings for those materials.

2 Likes

I didn’t get any warnings, when exporting that file and it had custom settings. Luckily the Glowforge Material Manager still works with Chrome and has all my custom settings , But I have a range of test files for getting the speed and power settings right for a new material and each file has “test cuts” with different settings for each (example speeds of 160-200 in steps of 5 or 10 to dial in the correct setting, and re-entering those each time is a pain in the …
I guess a new notebook is in my future…

1 Like

Strange. I use this tool extensively and always get this dialog if (and only if) I’ve used manual settings as shown here…

BTW, the 6-character numbers you mention are the hexadecimal color codes used for each step.

3 Likes

I submitted a suggestion to Support to fix the help file so it does not state that saving the settings on export happens. We’ll see if that happens…

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.