Extra *unwanted* cuts

i was working on a snowflake in acrylic, and after engraving the name, while cutting the whole thing out at full size (~4.5 inches) there’s a random circle cut into the arm of the snowflake, messing it up. resized to 1.5 inches, no issue. started new file, started the cut again, same random circle shows up. any ideas? i don’t have a problem remaking the file, as it’s fairly simple, but i would like to avoid these problems in the future.! pre-outline cut, then the end result of the circle…

1 Like

I have seen sometimes in designs the software gets confused when a sharp curve goes the “wrong” way. So to make it work it turns left instead of right making a full circle before heading back on the path.

I think of the old sailing ships that did the same thing when they could not point directly into the wind so would “wear” about making such a circle to head off with the wind from the other side.

There are fixes that can be made on the nodes in Inkscape or you could try importing the file in PDF version. but perhaps others here have easier solutions.

3 Likes

noted. i was thinking of redoing the file anyways, so i’ll look into that. thanks!

1 Like

Open vector shapes will cause that, when engraving. Just rasterize the image; that should fix it.

4 Likes

I see that the community has provided some good advice on the next best steps. I’ll keep this thread open a little longer, and see if any of those steps helped. Let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.