Fails after Calculating Precision Movement

For the past two days I have been stuck on the “Calculating Precision Movement” part of the print job. I have reset the machine to factory, reset my wireless, and still after about 15 minutes, I get a STOP print failed error. I’ve got 105Mbps down and 12mbps up, so internet is not an issue. The design is not complicated 56 mini chessboards with engraving on one side. If I do one, it works, but if I try to use the entire sheet, it errors out.

I submitted a support ticket, but “heavier than usual volume” like always.

Thoughts from the group?

1 Like

Sure. What are your engrave settings? Speed and LPI? And what are the overall dimensions of the engrave?

Just to be sure, you are getting this error only on this particular file with these settings? You are able to print other designs?

Everything is using standard medium draft board settings. 1000/full/270 on a full 12x19 sheet
If I build it out with a single board it works, but if I duplicate it more than twice it times out.

Anything more than about a 12x12 design times out

cuttingboard2
2svg

Your artwork has about a bajillion nodes in it. That makes it REALLY complex, even though it looks like it should be simple. Stack 60 copies of this in one file and the GFUI is pretty certain to choke.

8 Likes

Ok. Wanted to make sure you weren’t using a really high LPI - and thanks for including the file. My initial thoughts were maybe that you were: 1) using a very high LPI, and while the machine can handle much longer engraves now, it still has a limit. That doesn’t seem to be the case. Or, 2) That you had a job broken up where it was basically doing an entire bed pass for one engrave, then having to go back and do another pass for another part of the job - which would (ultimately) be the same issue as number 1.

Does Inkscape have some kind of path simplify? In Illustrator, I can use the simplify command and it reduces the cutting board text from 1763 to 388 points, at 100% precision - so it has a ton of redundant points.

Also, just because you posted it and I noticed it, you have some stray points around the cutting board text that are going to cause engrave marks, that you probably don’t want. You can see them better in @geek2nurse’s screenshot.

32%20PM

1 Like

Yah, I was going to say the same thing as @geek2nurse and @jbmanning5 , lotta nodes in the text. I would probably try doing a simplify operation on that text, or running the smooth tool over it (in AI… not sure of the names of similar tool in Inkscape). Or just freehand a new version of the text with the pen tool using the original as a guide.

the other thing you might try in addition to removing redundant nodes is to put a box around the entire array of boards, set to a unique color, and ignore that step in the GFUI. it seems to like enclosed shapes better than a lot of loose shapes (even if those loose shapes are closed paths)

4 Likes

Try this version.
Cutting%20Board

5 Likes

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the wide angle camera on the unit’s lid.
  3. Place Proofgrade material in the bed with the QR code facing up.
  4. Close the lid and turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. Open any design in the Glowforge app.

If you are still having problems, please reply to this email and we’ll investigate further.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.