Fairy Boxes

i get that it is the rule, what i wonder about is why people feel compelled to enforce it with such gusto.

1 Like

…And the answer you just gave is perfectly acceptable and adult and doesn’t require ridiculous rules on how you just presented it.

I’m not sure that’s true, both literally and figuratively.

There are minors on the forum. It’s a good idea to follow the rules until you understand their purpose, then suggest changes. I’m sure you’ll flame me for the suggestion, all I can say is that you’re wasting your time because I’ve already blocked you. I may unblock you later once you’ve had a chance to think about all this, but no promises.

11 Likes

I love what you did here! This is my more basic version of your fairy light where students designed the front of the box. I used seriously clearance-priced Christmas balls for the globes. Next time, maybe we will add the rice paper like you did.

14 Likes

Very cool. Rice paper is a lot of fun. I am slowly trying to figure out reliable settings for engraving it, but nothing I can write up so far. I did manage to create a box full of bees:

22 Likes

Do the beta speed settings for raster images help?

Love the bee box!

2 Likes

Simply, no. This is a Glowforge forum, and they get to make the rules. Adults know how to follow rules, even those they don’t like. By all means build your own forum and do what ya like.

9 Likes

1 of my Nephews and 3 Nieces, all of them under 15… Just saying. My other nephew is just under 20…
So definently NOT all adults. And heck yes for rules. You have no freaking idea what one of my nephews has come up with when he discovered “Wow a laser”

5 Likes

Love these! Nice work. Can I ask where you get your rice paper?

2 Likes

I found a seller on amazon:

5 Likes

All of these boxes are incredible, but that bee box… that’s great stuff. Hats off to you!

2 Likes

Love this box, and it has been on my mind since you posted it. Curious though, once you seal it up, there is no going back in, correct? It is not a “lid” design?

1 Like

Looked like magnets on the bottom. could be wrong…

The finger joints are tight enough that they are not glued, so I could carefully pry it apart if I need to.

Looked like magnets on the bottom. could be wrong…

Those are actually pins to line up the layers on the bottom. The first two layers of .13 plywood have the fingers and the battery compartment. The third layer has slots for the rails of the Tesla tower (at least that’s what I call it). The pins just keep it well aligned.

Magnets might actually be cool to try, but I would need to fake the bottom pins to make the design look consistent… or maybe cut them to be looser than the rest of the case.

Hmm… thoughts.

2 Likes