Fancy pants fantasy dice tower

Nicely done.

5 Likes

Yup - next level “COOL” for me as well!

5 Likes

Outstanding! I really like that the design hides (or at least de-emphasizes) the finger joints. I’m just not a big fan of laser-cut finger joints. The zig-zag patter is too intense when a light colored wood is involved. This design adds enough markings to make the edges blend in. I’m going to remember this concept in my future designs.

5 Likes

one thing to keep in mind when designing with finger joints, you don’t have to keep them all. and they don’t have to all be the same size. so you can edit the box file, if you have it created on a box site like i do, and change how the finger joints are set up on the box. that can be as simple as removing a few (matching up what you remove on parallel pieces) or even resizing matching fingers.

or, you could do something more like @evansd does and round your corners. if you over-lengthen your fingers a little so they stick out just a little bit, and then sand them down, you lose the char contrast. if you then round them a little, you de-emphasize them even more.

or combine both of those to make the finger joints more of a design that works with your object instead of against it.

8 Likes

That’s great advice, I should try that rounded edge technique. Very cool idea!

1 Like

when you’re ready to graduate to insane joints, browse through this thread.

10 Likes

Man, those years are intense! Thanks for sharing.

(Another heads up to anyone cutting this puppy… Prepare for a TON of weeding the masking material off, haha! My finger tips are going to be brown a while!)

1 Like

Use gorilla tape or a plastic razor: weeded in a few easy minutes.

6 Likes

Nice! Love the custom dividers.

2 Likes

plastic razors are the greatest things ever

7 Likes

WHAT THE HELL!!! Who didn’t tell me about plastic razors???

Man I am SOOOO behind the times!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Those are the ones! Mine actually came with 2 handles, i was pumped lol

1 Like

you can even use one of these to bray down masking to boards. works pretty well.

2 Likes

yep, works like a champ

1 Like

I’d be more likely to reach for tape in this instance, I use the scrapers when the bits are very very small, like < .1" across or when there’s a very large amount of engraves space, and I won’t want the tape to adhere to the roasted surface.

2 Likes

OMG, I need to spend more time reading topics here! Yay for masking material cheats!!!

Plastic blades ordered…

2 Likes

ORDERED!

How did I LIVE without knowing about this?!? Man I feel stupid. Like seriously stupid!

2 Likes

If you’re cutting a lot of parts, not engraving, you might want to read this:

3 Likes

I don’t see an SVG anywhere? Am I blind?