Father's Day Bottle Openers

The other day I was on Amazon and came across these inexpensive bottle openers so ordered a couple to “see what I can do”. Also ordered some Dry Moly Lube (as recommended). I’ve read through a lot of the other messages about printing on metal (Bruce Ulrich’s video on Youtube) and all the responses about power & speed settings. to make sure the print adheres. After preparing the bottle opener with Dry Moly Lube (4 light coats, let dry a few minutes between coats), choosing/aligning a design (will do better alignment next time!), and getting the settings put in, I held my breath and pushed the print button! I am VERY pleased with how this turned out!
Settings: Power: full; Speed: 250; L/I: 450
After the print completed, used some rubbing alcohol to remove the excess and voila!! Might have to make a few of these for my guy friends for Father’s Day. Will customize each with their name on the reverse side. #lasergiftsbybarb

41 Likes

It looks great and is a perfect Father’s Day gift! You got an nice even result with Molly too and it’s one of the best I’ve seen.

If you want to add a wood face to the opener we have a few designs in the free file section. They’re really basic, but might save you a few minutes.

6 Likes

Awesome! Thx! Do you have a suggested product for adhering the wood to the base bottle opener?

Thx!

Barb

I used Locktite and it worked well. Share if you make another one, I love seeing what people do with the openers. :slight_smile:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm

4 Likes

You better buy a box load. You will get request.

2 Likes

Here is something for each of us to ponder: Although the basic size & shape of this type of bottle opener appears very similar, there can be a huge difference in quality & customer perception!! I ordered my first couple of bottle openers on Amazon and noted some that were cheaper, so ordered those, too. The cheaper ones arrived today and they are indeed “cheaper”. They are half the thickness and smaller in overall size. If you’re like me (running a business with my Glowforge), you want to provide the best quality of products, as well as the best print. Lesson I’ve learned: Price is not the only factor!

5 Likes

Love it! You able to post a link to the amazon listing?

These are the ones (on the right) I originally ordered that are very nice quality & twice the thickness of the others (you may be able to see what I mean from the pic):
DuraWare BO7FS2 Bottle Opener, 7 x 1.6 x 0.3 Inches, Sliver
by Deieregeu
Learn more: Better bottle openersbottle%20openers !

3 Likes

The proofgrade veneer has an industrial 3M adhesive on it that won’t let go. Align it well because chances of pulling it off to correct placement are almost nil.

Nice job there, especially the message. Any Dad would be pleased. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

this. if you buy veneer with PVA adhesive on it, you would be just fine adhering it to most things. we use it to build architectural models that are hanging on the wall. so adhered sideways with model pieces glued on top of them. still on the walls years later. some of these models are really heavy, too.

3 Likes

These are super thick compared to the others. $8 a pop though would mean selling for around $20 to make it worth it? Of course if they are a gift I suppose that doesn’t matter

I thought the same thing, but when I received the pkg, there were two. I went back and looked at the description at the bottom of the page and it indicates 2 ( Product description: Heavy duty stainless steel flat bottle opener set of 2) which I didn’t originally see.

But you’re spot on with the price!! I’ve asked several of my guy friends how much they’d pay for it (with customization) and everyone has said either $20 or $25. I might go out on a limb and try to sell a few of the nicer quality ones at an upcoming Fresh Market event (all food & upscale home made crafts), just to see how it goes.

2 Likes

Nice work! Thank you for sharing too.

1 Like

I used the same type of opener. I cut & engraved the proofgrade Medium Maple or veneer. Came out real nice & a lot cheaper to use than Molly Lube or Ceremark.

4 Likes

Guess I’m ordering a few of these then lol

1 Like

Unless I’m looking at the wrong thing, I’ve seen Moly Lube for about $9 a can on Amazon. Ceramark IS way more expensive though.

1 Like

This is the Dry Moly I used:
CRC Dry Moly Lube, (Net Weight: 11 oz.) 16 oz Aerosol Can, Dark Gray
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0013J62P4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_zTy8Cb6YN2R2F

1 Like

Yep yep, that’s what I’ve seen as well. Luckily for me my wife works for an electrical supply company and they sell that. Can get it at cost lol, I’ll have to see how much it’ll be from them lol

Can you please tell me how you attach the wood to the opener . Thanks in advance

1 Like

kittskiRegular

barb31aug

23h

I used Locktite and it worked well. Share if you make another one, I love seeing what people do with the openers. :slight_smile:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm