Faux Wood(grain) Updated

I’ve been experimenting with files and material to come up with the “Holy Grail” of miniatures and craft projects… realistic looking wood grain. These are before and after shots of HD luan ply. I have another piece to test that I have treated with a wood aging solution that will turn the wood gray, I will post them as soon as I get them done. Please let me know what you think and if you have any tips or advice on improving.

Before

After

UPDATE -
Here is a photo of the aged piece with the original below it. Not a lot of difference in one treatment of ager ( the piece was treated before engraving ), but it is noticeable.

45 Likes

That’s a great woodgrain there. Love the shiplap look.

11 Likes

I did that on two pieces - call them “fairy doors” that I attached to utility poles on my property… Both were stolen.

13 Likes

I feel your pain. My fairy door disappeared as well.

7 Likes

You can get some wood grain looks by taking an HD photo of actual wood and 3D engraving it into MDF (draftboard). These were made with two different types of wood grain photos.

25 Likes

If I remember correctly, I used images of natural wood grain from THD when I made my fairy doors.

10 Likes

That looks fabulous Steve. @dan84 your looks amazing as well!

9 Likes

This discussion has me thinking of making some more, then I wonder “why bother” if someone is just going to steal them.

They put a smile on my face every time I mowed and saw them out there, then just disappointment when I saw they were gone.

8 Likes

I think they all look good @ovm.steve and @dan84. I wouldn’t have thought of taking a photo of wood and engraving it. I should try that with our wood floors we made as I love how the grain shows through.

@eflyguy and @ovm.steve, what a shame your doors were stolen. How about if you made some more and put an engraved “doorhanger” on them with your last name? At least if they were stolen again, every time the person who stole them looked at them, they’d see your name and maybe feel ashamed. Or not, since they stole them in the first place.

9 Likes

Mine are here…

4 Likes

Love that look. Looking forward to how you use them. Thanks for the inspiration.

3 Likes

That’s frustrating to have something you worked hard on stolen. Sorry about that.

Perhaps there is a different place you can put the. That is visible to you. It less so to others?

5 Likes

The only reason I made them was to stick on those utility poles on either end of my property for the benefit of the dozen or so walkers I see every week. They were nailed on (pin nails…)

The only reason I’m posting here is that the “wood grain” is totally artificial. I think I used draftboard which in my experience holds up in weather better than plywood.

3 Likes

This was the image I used for one of them. Possibly the other as well.

13 Likes

I really like that.

5 Likes

Use non-philips screws?

2 Likes

Your engrave turned out beautifully! That was a great idea! Can’t wait to see your finished product either as I always LOVE your work!

5 Likes

That looks really cool! You definitely need to make another one, even if you keep it in the house!

4 Likes

I really like the results of your aging process! I’m all ears if you do a tutorial.

My ‘fairy’ door (the hobbit hole) is still in place, but then it’s completely embedded in the landscape and hard to steal. On the other hand we still see most of the neighborhood fairy doors on our daily walks, so maybe we’re lucky like that.

5 Likes

OMG! THESE LOOK FANTASTIC! I never would of guessed they were MDF. how did you prep the print to engrave? and are the white parts added on or engraved and painted?

2 Likes