Favorite Christmas or Holiday Music

Continuing the discussion from Finding a Silver Lining:

OK,
Like I said in my Finding a Silver Lining topic, I’m ready for the Holiday, partly because of the Glowforge.

It may be tonight’s snow, the present wrapping, or the 3 Brandy Old Fashioneds I had, but I’m in the Holiday Spirit(s?). I want you to share your Holiday Music favorites. List your favorite Artist(s) or Album(s) and a few of your favorite versions of a particular song.

I’ll start off:

Albums, or CDs, or MP3 compilations - whatever you call them. 2 Carpenters Albums. An Old Fashioned Christmas (not influenced by my drink of choice tonight) & Christmas Portrait. Yes, I know I’m old and it shows, but these albums have just the right mix of vocals, instrumentals and chorale arrangements to carry you through a relaxed Christmas evening…

Songs: For some reason, Anne Murray’s version of Silver Bells always sets a warm and nostalgic mood for me. Another song that is not very well known is December Makes Me Feel This Way by Dave Koz. I start off the Season early with this song. Just like the sentiment.

Here’s link to a You Tube Version from his label.

Please let us know your Favorites.

13 Likes

Loved Dave Koz’s The Dance, the whole album. Hadn’t heard Garth do it even. But best Christmas album for me is Vince Guaraldi’s soundtrack for A Charlie Brown Christmas.

After that is the Album, The Peace and the Joy of Christmas by the Cambridge Singers.

6 Likes

Vince Guard’s soundtrack is an excellent choice. Love that one also. I’ll have to look up the Cambridge Singers. I haven’t heard that song, but the title sounds like a song I’d like.

4 Likes

I love the classics including Bing Crosby, oh! And of course Dominic the Donkey but some newer stuff is great! Two of my favorites are She and Him Christmas
And
Beta Radio

6 Likes

And for the record, i may not always have the Christmas spirit, but I’m always up for Christmas music. Even if July and it drives my wife crazy :joy:

5 Likes

Working in a hotel and listening to them since mid November I can honestly say: None.

8 Likes

In your situation or in retail, I’d probably say the same. Ugh. Fortunately, I don’t! So I really love the way Suzy Bogguss sings “Do You Hear What I Hear?”

4 Likes

Current fav is Pentatonix’s “Mary Did You Know?”…it absolutely gives me chills every time I hear it.

Also just about anything from the Nutcracker, and Pachelbel Canon in D. (Mum’s a first soprano…we get a lot of opera and classical music at the holidays.) :smile:

20 Likes

Discovered Pentatonix last year and have really enjoyed it ever since. They performed at the university here recently. Student tix $5, faculty $100. I don’t think they wanted us there!

9 Likes

Jeeeze! Yeah, that was a bit of a deterrent! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I grew up in a classical household, so it was Bach and Handel all the way. Some of the old carols too (nothing for pumping up a geeky kid’s ego like singing in latin and knowing what it means).

Don’t know if anyone else does this, but we and some of our friends have a game called the Little Drummer Boy challenge. Starts the day after thanksgiving, and as soon as you hear the song (unless played to you with malice aforethought by another player) you’re eliminated. I think one year someone made it all the way to christmas…

9 Likes

I don’t know why but Pentatonix is not one of my favorites. They are actually one of my least favorite. My wife loves them and because I listen to Christmas music year-round I guess she assumed I liked them also and put a Pentatonix cd in my stocking last year. It wasn’t listened to until this year when she finally threw it in.
No way I’d pay $100 to sit through a concert. At least not without prodding from my wife…

3 Likes

Ha, I’d be out early! Little drummer boy is near the top of the list for me especially this version
Wouldn’t it be horrible if I made so it would automatically play :santa:

7 Likes

Whoop! I’m out! ROFL! :no_mouth:

1 Like

That’s my current favorite too! Thanks for saving me the effort of looking it up and posting it on my phone!

2 Likes

Not really my favorite, but certainly one I send to folks every year just because it’s so well done;

3 Likes

sitting here listening to the Pentatonix new Christmas album as I read :smile:

3 Likes

If you are a Boomer, this should be right at the top of your Christmas music list. Well, it’s at the top of mine anyway. :evergreen_tree: :relaxed:

2 Likes

I will confess, I love the goofy Christmas songs. “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.” “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,” "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, etc.

Besides that I love the classics, Bing Crosby, etc, and for a slightly newer I love Harry Connick Jr.'s first Christmas album.

5 Likes

Must confess…this is also a favorite of mine. We usually catch it at least once on the radio during the drive to the folks house. :relaxed:

3 Likes