Feature Request: Image Framing

Hi,
For the sake of repeatable consistency, I’d like to see a simple feature added as an option for positioning an image relative to the material. Framing. It would be nice once the code is received from the server to be able to hit a button that will send the head around the perimeter of the image to be applied. Other laser software has this capability and since there is no way to correlate the material to the scale on the display, framing would be an extremely useful feature, especially when the fish-eye camera imaging leaves a lot to be desired. Other s/w will allow you to specify an intensity of the laser beam which is useful when using tape to get an exact placement.
Would suggest two or three cameras and some stitching s/w to produce an accurate image on the display.
Thanks.

1 Like

This is not a staff-monitored forum. You’ll need to email support@glowforge.com, open a support ticket on their website, or post in the help channel of their Discord for someone at the company to receive your suggestion.

4 Likes

Thank you. I haven’t made a request before and didn’t know this was not the right place.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure based on your description - but it sounds like you’re talking about what “Set Focus” does. Yes you have to set focus in multiple spots if you aren’t sure the size of your material, rather than a single click for multiples, but it’s quick, accurate, and already exists in the current software :slight_smile:

You can easily set the intensity of the laser beam by adjusting the power…

4 Likes

Hi Deirdrebeth,
My understanding is that the autofocus does nothing ore than adjust the focal length according to the distance from the material. That is why you have to place the material within a given range from the printer read. That range is the limit to which the laser can be focused. It does not in anyway indicate where the image is to be printed on the material.
My ask, is that we be able to set a laser strength and be able to see where the software thinks it going to print. I do a lot of custom engraving and have had projects ruined because the image shows one thing and the software does something close. I need exact or really close to it. Because of fish-eye camera errors I usually apply tape, use a fast speed and low laser power to see where the the printing is going to occur. This adds a lot of time and unnecessary wear on my machine. Framing would give me a much better idea of what will happen. Other laser software has this feature and I find it extremely useful w/o having to tape up anything. Laser power option gives me the ability to mark on tape and not on the material, should I choose to use it, where the image frame is.

1 Like

This is true of auto focus. Set Focus shows a more accurate representation of where it’ll be on the material.

2 Likes

I am not sure that they can add/build any kind of hardware/software solution that would be better than just creating a jig for projects that require precise placement.

2 Likes

Hi Tjones,

I’m sure they can, after all, it’s just software and another menu item. It is done on other laser software that I own to help dial-in the positioning. I find it useful for initial setup where I can manually set the start point and get a very good idea of the perimeter of the lasing. After that jigs for batch processing are used.