FEATURE REQUEST: Lower power fan operation for thin materials/paper

I’ve been enjoying using my Glowforge to cut paper, cardstock, tagboard, and cardboard. However, I occasionally run into an issue where the fan operation is clearly way more than is necessary to clear any fumes from the paper/cardstock, but so powerful that it causes even weighted down materials to flap or come loose and fly around the inside. The biggest problem with this is that smaller pieces can fly into other areas that are still being cut or are yet to be cut.

I would love a feature where the fan operation could be run at a lower level so that very thin materials wouldn’t be disturbed.

Thanks for listening!

MakerBlock

13 Likes

User control for the fans is in the hopper. :wink:

(In the meantime, if you are cutting a lot of paper, a lot of people have some very creative solutions for holding it in place that range from specialized mats (seklema), to magnets, to a sacrificial board sprayed with repositionable adhesive. Just do a search for “cutting paper”.)

7 Likes

That sounds like handy stuff to have around…

2 Likes

It really is! Krylon Easy Tack Repositionable Adhesive - #7020.

Couple of light coats on whatever you want to use as a base (sheet of cheap BB or whatever), let dry between coats about 20 minutes, and you’ve got a lovely laser mat that you can reuse over and over. And when they adhesive starts to go…spray it again. One coat does it.

One can will last years under heavy use…

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K07020007-10-25-Ounce-Repositionable-Adhesive/dp/B000A8AYO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510536399&sr=8-1&keywords=krylon+easy-tack+repositionable+spray+7020

10 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll make sure the team gets it.

1 Like