Feature Request: Primitives, precision placement and project/layout saving

Hi, I have a sparkling new Glowforge to compliment my 1000mm X 1000mm X-Carve from Inventables. I’m absolutely impressed by the quality, ease and fun of creating with the Glowforge, but the Glowforge app could use some love.

I use Easel from Inventables almost daily with the X-Carve for layouts and basic design without ever opening Illustrator or other design tools. It would be amazing to see some of these great layout and design features added to the Glowforge app to hep all users, such as basic primitive shapes, precision, placement and sizing adjustments based on metric or standard numerical entries, text integration and saving of every single project. Other tools, like plugins for box creation, puzzles, gears, etc make it a wonderful, easy design tool for almost anyone. In the meantime, I imported all the basic shapes to the catalog for easy access, but it’s still a few extra steps and it’s tough to align items this way.

Reference image from Easel below. I could only post one image as I’m a new user, but check out http://easel.inventables.com/ you’ll need to setup a free account to check out the online app & feature set. Couldn’t show all the features in one image.

Keep up the great work, I am confident this tool will evolve and get better over time!

Brian

23 Likes

This post might get more likes and attention if you were to add some photos of the kind of features you’re describing. At least wherever possible.

I think this is a really good set of ideas. Feature suggestions that make the Glowforge even more usable in a practical sense are worth exploring. The GF has potential to be the go- to tool for so very much and what we do as crafters and simplifying use is the key to making devices like this ever more popular and better accepted.

3 Likes

Related request: The ability to mirror a set of paths. I find myself wishing I could tesselate/layout multiple cuts more efficiently and a mirror function in the UI would make that way easier to decide on the fly.

Otherwise, I would have to remember to build a reverse of my vector into the SVG file…which isn’t the end of the world.

4 Likes

I’ve captured this feedback and passed it on to the rest of the team. Thanks for posting these suggestions!