Feature request - trouble code indication

This is for the GF team to add to the list of feature requests.

A large number of threads posted here are often easily diagnosed and resolved by following some simple steps, but it’s difficult to know what the problem is without providing (usually) a list of things to try.

It would be great if the machine would indicate what problem it is having, which would be easily done by having the button show different conditions. It already uses different colors, but it could be “flashed” in different ways. For example - “over temp” could be orange, blinking. “Under temp” could be orange, blinking twice, then pausing. No/unsteady wifi - Teal, blinking. Camera issue - something else, like blinking red. Then you could post a sticky in this forum with a list of solutions to common issues, and save a whole bunch of time having to respond to threads here, or in email. It would also help a lot of users self-diagnose and resolve the most common issues.

9 Likes

Also most issues that the button could tell you, other than a total wifi catastrophe, can be known to the company servers and therefore displayed in the web browser.

The Glowforge often makes me think of this old quote:

Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.

1 Like

I desperately wish it would go through a series of colors during startup, so we could immediately tell where it’s getting stuck. I feel like that would be relevant to 30% of the support questions here.

2 Likes

Yes, please!

Whenever possible, yes, please!

Definitely… A POST that’s visible to the user would be awesome.

Would be interesting to have more granular notifications. I’m wondering how much of this has to do with the fact that most of the brains for the Glowforge are in the cloud. How self aware is the machine? If there is no or spotty wifi, then the information the sensors have can’t be interpreted correctly and UI warnings aren’t possible or hard to implement locally.

1 Like

That is a really great idea for a feature -thank you so much for the suggestion! We haven’t announced anything like that yet, but I’m going to make sure to send this suggestion up to our product team with a note that it came from a customer request.

1 Like