Feature suggestion: functionality

I think having Glowforge actually work when you take them out of the box would be an awsome new feature. Is anyone working on that?

Also perhaps responsive technical support. That might help too.

Mine did.

2 Likes

Is this a problem report or just announcing general disenchantment? If the former, a description of your issue would be conducive. Nothing support can do for you without knowing the problem. Perhaps you have already reported it?
Most of us have a great experience out of the box. I’ve had a pre-release and my new one, both work seamlessly. When I first started using the pre-release I had problems - that turned out to be issues with my file.
That’s the first step, to determine if the problem is with the file or the machine. If it’s the file, zipping it and posting it here will allow the sofware pros around here to help. If it is a problem with the machine, support will track that down and correct it on their end or replace your machine.

We all understand frustration, and have felt it. Throw your problem out here and watch how fast community members try to help.
Regarding problem reports, it is helpful to support to know the day, time and time zone so they can look at the machine logs.

2 Likes

Mine worked great. I guess I got lucky.

2 Likes

If by lucky you mean one of the 95 % then yes. I do feel for the 5% that have gotten duds.

*I totally don’t know the numbers

6 Likes

I have another thread with a rather thorough explanation of my debugging efforts. Ive had a handful of well intentioned but less-than-useful suggestions from other users but no response whatsoever from actual technical support.

1 Like

100% percent of mine have not worked.

100 % of mine have and my sample size is twice yours.

6 Likes

Ditto.

Want to see how many responses we can get in this thread that are the same? :smile:

Ditto on that too. Two delivered, two working from minute one.

4 Likes

I understand how failure rates work. Although one would think they would do some kind of burn in on something like this to sort out infant mortality.

The point, really, is that support mechanism is woefully inadequate. When I buy a piece of equipment of reasonable cost from any other company, I get a support number where one can at least get a response. You’re not relegated to a forum where someone may or may not get back to you many days later.

One PRU was DOA, replaced in 24 hours, followed by two flawless units that have been absolute workhorses. Given a chance, I’ve found Support to be incredibly helpful. Of course, I didn’t go out of my way to troll the forum. :thinking:

5 Likes

I did give them several whole hours to get back to me.

They do.

Well, my Glowforge worked out of the box.

I wasn’t so luck with my recent purchase of an HP Laserjet M281fdw. The first one I received was out of alignment by .035mm. I got on with HPs tech support, and was promptly told to send it back. No troubleshooting per se. When the second one arrived, the alignment error was gone, but it prints faint bands every 22mm. After a lengthy tech support session including test prints, and scans of tests prints the tech actually stated “These laser printers don’t print photos very well” The banding is visible in photographs and text. I’m pretty sure it’s just the toner cart, but they wouldn’t spring for it.

This is a big company that has been in the game for a while. I’m way happier with my Glowforge right now than this HP printer.

3 Likes

I’ve spend a year fighting with Samsung wrt my fridge. Despite the icemaker having discrete cubed & crushed settings, it’s more mostly cubes or mostly crushed. They told me that the settings were more of a guideline, really. Fixed it by 3D printing a new cam for the selector. :wink:

5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4dcdd967cce8270

3 Likes

Nice they had a sense of humor though :slight_smile: Not sure if I’d have been pissed at them or laughed my butt off.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think he realized it was a movie quote… :no_mouth:

4 Likes

You could give them whole minutes and the standing policy of within 3 business days is unchanged.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit a problem getting started. Since you’ve already emailed us and we’re working on it there I’m going to close this thread.

3 Likes