Feb 2017 Update

Sorry. Not familiar with the term (except as “a valley” as in “over hill, over dale”).

3 Likes

Good update! Looking forward to the next one, hope that will be the we are shipping “real” glowforges one :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t believe I missed this one.

21 Likes

this is a Dale …

do some research about Dale car to understand i’m not going to explain it for you

7 Likes

Funny, I read the story and then scrolled down and I was like “That looks like Liz from work. Wait a minute. That is Liz from work!”

23 Likes

What a small world! :smile:

4 Likes

I couldn’t believe it either. I was waiting for it the moment the story was setup! I literally re-read it because I thought I just didn’t see it! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice update, though there was no info on the Pro unit at all. Can you comment on it’s status, if it is still likely to ship when the Basic does and what is going on with the filter?

4 Likes

Oh… The Dale. Yes… I’m quite familiar.

For those who don’t know, it’s a great story of marketing versus reality. I encourage reading about it!

8 Likes

Some are, some aren’t. We’ve made a major process shift at the factory: when we have a change - for example, we recently replaced a connector that was hard to install with one that was easier - we don’t switch the build over all at once. We buy parts for both old and new, and do a few builds with the new process. Then we test those units at the factory and at the office, and if all goes well, cut over all manufacturing to the new process.

We’re constantly working on various refinements like that, and the units with those refinements come to our office.

Yes, that’s fair. We’ll keep you updated on the completion date, but not the schedule. (I’ll continue to call it a schedule for consistency’s sake though).

True at a musical instrument shop, but not true on a weekend at a conference in Chicago. :slight_smile:

I’m dying here.

Unfortunately no - looking at Bay Area, though.

Looks like the three of us all share(d) an employer!

Pro and filter are on schedule for delivery by July/August as well.

28 Likes

That’s extremely good news.

17 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, what do you need cork for instruments for? Dampening?

2 Likes

Yeah! Thanks for the update. That’s such a great story as well. Hit me in the feels… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I seem to recall cork seals between the (tubular) sections of my clarinet back in high school. Could be wrong, though.

7 Likes

Extremely! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been talking to a luthier about bridges and he likes the idea since some of the stock bridges take a lot of handwork to get them into shape for a particular violin. Yeah, you’d have to cut a lot of blanks to pay for a Glowforge but it would be helpful.

6 Likes

While it was printing, I whipped this up in case the trace didn’t work - it also adds a gradient too so it’s thinner on top - but by the time I was done designing, she was fully tuned and ready to go!

35 Likes

Luthiers! Another market for :glowforge:
This is so cool, thanks for sharing it with us.

6 Likes

A good friend (Red Henry) has a decent following in the Bluegrass Mandolin community for his different bridge designs. He has experimented with hundreds of different designs, hole patterns, feet widths, etc. Dozens of wood types. Other luthier friends perform similar experiments with banjos, fiddles, etc. I dabble in the same. Although hand tapering of the bridges is still required, the basic shapes and cut away patterns using a Glowforge would save a lot of time and help minimize variance.

These were a few experiments by Red using different woods for mandolin bridges.

38 Likes

My grandpa spent most of his adult life building & teaching string instruments in a very meager garage shop. Man…I really wish he could see this. “Amazed” would be an understatement, I’m sure.

14 Likes