Feel like a puzzle? Simple Marble Run v1.0.9

awesome thanks! Something to work on while staying safe at home!

1 Like

If anyone has any questions, or runs into any issues with these designs please let me know. I am actively modifying these files.

The latest update has modified the pegs to pressure fit the ramp to rails. I found them very difficult to install initially.

I will update the original post!

6 Likes

Very, very nice!! Thank you for sharing this, my kids will love it!

1 Like

So far so good.

Had a rookie mistake though, I did not have everything aligned right so one section and a few other pieces didn’t cut. I removed successful pieces, then did my best to align the remainder. It worked out ok.

Now on to assembly

8 Likes

I just cut everything, and now I return to find you’ve deleted all your pictures. :frowning:

More of a puzzle than I bargained for…

2 Likes

I haven’t removed any pictures. They are on the previous post.

Added original pictures to the main post.

3 Likes

Thank you for this!

1 Like

Sorry, got myself confused between versions.

This was a fun build! The small gear is a bit tight in the frame, but everything spins. I used M4 hardware, which seemed to work well as a metric substitution.

Unfortunately, the marbles I have are a bit too large to run through it.

Thanks again for posting this!

4 Likes

Wow, thank you very much!
Great work on the design and layout.
I´ll try to put it together using only the pictures. If I hit a snag I´ll PM you.

1 Like

That is amazing! You did a great job without ANY instructions!

2 Likes

I got a few things wrong, but it was a lot of fun figuring it all out. The cross-shaped bolt was a mind trip!

I had glued the frame together before I assembled the crank, which may have been a mistake. I ended up having to glue the gears into a stack outside the frame, which made it a lot easier to put it all together. I am also not sure I stacked the rings correctly on the crank, but it all works.

I am really amazed.

1 Like

I had fun with that one. It went a through a few iterations, but I like how it turned out.

2 Likes

Saw it and had to do it. Thanks for an evening well spent.

I had a bit of trouble with Somme of the small bits and had to cut additional friction pins. I also messed up one of the cross supports and had to re-cut that also.

Used the bolts I had on hand.

I also put the gear/crank in last. That presented a challenge. I am guessing the ramps should go on last. That would have saved the other across support also.

Thank you so much. Such a pleasure. I’m sure once we get back in the office this will be a sure conversation piece.

5 Likes

Yeah, mine is definitely going on my desk at work. This Glowforge has made being stuck at home bearable. It has given me plenty to play with!

@drvegetable - did you use BB on this? I ended up using draft board. I kind of wish I had used BB.

2 Likes

Same. It’s one of the reasons we pulled the trigger on the purchase.

The last week has been a blast!

1 Like

@Thumper369 I see you used a doubled nut on the main wheel axel. I like that! So you don’t have to worry about it getting tighter or looser.

I realized I had a couple extra crank-axel spacers in there too. If you used every piece, it could be a tight fit.

2 Likes

That’s what I get for putting it together without any spare parts! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I want to make a more complicated one with a second wheel at 90 degrees from the first. And I just had a successful test with gears to make the transition!

These tests have shown me some minor improvements that can be made to the original design also, so I will try to get those updated.

I might be able to remove the need for additional hardware, but fear that may reduce the stability and strength of the structure.

7 Likes

Thanks, @drvegetable and @Thumper369 for the great pictures!

I know some instructions would be a great help to putting together, but other than that is there anything you think needs to be fixed with the design?

I have had instances where the ball could sometimes jump off the ramp in the corners. If the problem persists I may try to raise the edge in the corners…

3 Likes