File assistance please

so I was wrong

!!

:frowning:

sowwy!

Honestly I tried to remove those bits. The original file had a large star in the center. Obviously I missed some of the nodes when deleting it.

Here is the original original as requested.
113-ArmyVeteransvg (1)

@Deleted and @evansd2 You are both amazing! Thank you so much!

I canā€™t believe you were able to do that so quickly after I struggled for hours!

:star_struck:

Actually if you turn your head to the side, there is always a point facing the outside edge. Hmm but I see your point. They are not perfectly aligned.

You have users competing to make your file - this is a nice forum for sure.

4 Likes

I am one lucky lady today!

1 Like

Hmm Iā€™d recommend starting from scratch and building your own if you want it ā€œperfectā€.

Even that original has issues, the circles arenā€™t circular (orange arrow), the stars are inconsistent in the corners and side angles (red arrows) etc.

The good news is that this is a pretty simple design to replicate.

The bad news is that Iā€™m out of time and canā€™t help with that part. Good thing this is a community of people who are at least as skilled as I am at this sort of thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time today.

Thank you so much for your time today.

OK letā€™s see. Turn my attention back to this.

So first thing I do some research.

I try to find out if there was an official font in her era for the army. Looks like there were a few, but the data is inconclusive. Arial is the current army font, so I go with that.

Next up the nurse insignia. You mention scoring it, but I fear you might mean engrave, and if you do those fine lines between the feathers will be a problem. I look at the typeface on RM and realize itā€™s nothing like that outer typeface, so I decide that is a design sin and go looking to see what the official insignia is for army corp nurses in WWII. I find this:

Which is great but low res, which is no good.

I find this, which is marginally better:

But I am not finding an SVG for it, and this isnā€™t my project, so I go back to the original.

Looks like the font used was cutoff pro bold, which was ā€“ ironically ā€“ cut off on the bottom. I went and got it and restored the type to health.

Then it was just a matter of making some stars, rotating them into place, doing a bunch of booleans, and aligning things. I wasnā€™t sure if you were planning to score or to engrave the caduceus and RN text, so I included two versions, one suitable for engraving (solid black) and one for scoring (separate path in the middle with no fill).

Here you go:

redraw_done

(Right click here to download)

Let me know if this isnā€™t what you were looking for, I have it saved in working form and can adjust pretty easily.

Things I didnā€™t do:

I didnā€™t put a cut outline on it. I didnā€™t put a hole in it for hanging. Those parts are relatively simple though, so Iā€™ll leave that to you.

6 Likes

And you know what, I traced and included the nurse corps version because why not. Authenticity, yo.

nurse_corps

(Right click to download)

6 Likes

Thank you so much! All this research is amazing! All I really wanted was instructions, and I come away with multiple finished files!

Glowforge Yodas Rock!

:dizzy: :boom: :bomb: :sunglasses:

I canā€™t get over how much better it looks with the stars aligned correctly. It has a sense of motion that was completely missing in the original. @evansd2 for the win! And the crowd roars!!!

3 Likes

That was correct - official US military patches (including the US Army variations) use radially oriented stars. Her original one was probably just some commercial hack of the real deal.

Yours is an outstanding implementation.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this awesome image. Please tell me how to get the logo in the center to score not engrave.

More specifically, I do not want the N to be engraved, just the outlines. Iā€™ll be happy to do it myself with a little direction.

So what youā€™re trying to do is path or node editing. There are a couple ways to do it, you can break the path apart and delete the resulting shape(s) you donā€™t want, but in this case I think that would be unnecessarily complex. Iā€™d just delete the nodes you donā€™t want.

(in Inkscapeā€¦ specific instructions will vary in other programs but the process is the same)

Start with selecting your path to edit. Click the node selection tool indicated by the red arrow:

Identify and delete the nodes you want to delete. In this case, itā€™s all the nodes that make up the black engraved N portion. (some indicated with red arrows, Iā€™m sure you get the idea)

Once theyā€™re all gone, the shape will be too.

Step back and admire your handiwork:

Hereā€™s the SVG if youā€™d like:

nurse_corps_nofill

Right click to download.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! That is not as hard as I thought it would be!

Iā€™ve said many times in various threads: learning how to manually edit paths is a core skill that everyone should invest in learning. Any time you put into it will pay you back many times overā€¦ so many things seem difficult until you know how to mess with nodes and fully understand path booleans.

Glad we got you up and running here :slight_smile:

3 Likes